Outlook

DAVID39 20:11 20 Feb 04

I have three PCs in a peer to peer network, though one of the three acts as server for the group as well as a workstation. I have Outlook 2003 on all machines, and rather thought OI could run a shared diary system across the network

However it looks as if I have to have soemthing called Microsoft Exchange Server. Can anyone tell me what this might be please? Is it simply a further piece of software to install on my "server" machine, and does anyone know if it works on simple peer to peer networks?

Any help gratefully received!

David

Paranoid Android 20:29 20 Feb 04

"Can anyone tell me what this might be please?"

Expensive !

Exchange server is the grown up version of microsoft exchange for mail handling. It does the job of a proxy and more. All the client machines would use Outlook in the normal way, except that they would be in a client-server relationship with exchange server instead of peer-to-peer.

This is unlikely to be worth your while for a small network, but I have seen it done.

However you need to be clear about the nature of your network, either it's peer-to-peer or it has a server and clients. Servers serve, workstations work. Trying to combine the two usually causes problems.

Marvin

Taran 20:55 20 Feb 04

click here for general info and a whole boatload of third party software solutions to part or all of the problem.

DAVID39 20:52 21 Feb 04

Thanks very much for the information and advice. Older and wiser now!

David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…