Out of memory please close other programs

Birdy007 23:39 04 May 06

I have a problem with my new dell inspiron 6400.I am running windows xp home edition.processor is intel dual 1.66 ghz.memory is 1024 mb. The problem is when I run championship manager 2001/2002 I sometimes get a message saying out of memory please close down some programs to free resources.
I have tried altering virtual memory to the max but to no avail.
If anyone knows what the problem is I would be greatful.

remind 23:40 04 May 06

run it in compatibility mode click here

Birdy007 23:55 04 May 06

Did not make any difference

gudgulf 23:56 04 May 06

I'm not sure that compatibility mode will help......the problem is you have more than 1GB total memory.That is your RAM plus the virtual memory.

The game will crash if it sees more than 1GB...it cant handle that amount of memory and reads it as zero or a negative amount.

This is a common problem with older games that check for minimum spec before allowing the game to run....and EA are one of the biggest culprits for this.

You could try the official game website and look for a patch/workaround for the problem.

Or if you have more than one stick of RAM remove one before playing the game or set your virtual memory to disabled temporarily(remember to re-enable when you've finished playing).

remind 00:00 05 May 06

There was a way to limit Win9x to a certain amount of memory, not sure how to enable that in Window XP

Birdy007 00:01 05 May 06

The game doesnt crash it just says there is not enough system memory.please free up some more to restore your game.

remind 00:06 05 May 06

It's almost certainly explained by Gudgulf's post

gudgulf 00:11 05 May 06

Crash/wont run......same thing really.

You can't play it!!!!!

I've told you why.......read this click here for more information.

Birdy007 00:33 05 May 06

still no joy :-(

gudgulf 00:56 05 May 06

Have a look through this posting at a dedicated Championship Manager 20001/2002 website.....it covers your problem click here

I'm afraid though if this doesn't work you are stuck........there's only so much you can do and unless the enthusiast community or manufacturer issues a fix then there are some games that just wont run on the latest high spec pcs.

The only option in this case is to downgrade rather than upgrade the pc to suit the game....if you can't live without it that is!

blackstorm2k 03:46 05 May 06

I doubt that this would be the case, but here's a suggestion:
I had exactly the same problem when I tried playing games by EA and got that same error message. I found that my pc was infected by the 'Win95 Marburg' virus which was causing the problem (yes the virus infects any system from win95 upwards).
Like I say it's unlikely this is the problem, but you never know... :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…