Out of curiousity......

Sketch 20:40 11 Sep 03

Why do people insist on keeping address books in email retrieval programs like 'Outlook Express'?

From the viruses I've read about and their programmed route of destruction; a typical virus, worm or trojan, cannot 'breed' without access to these 'Address Book' facilities.

Is it not just as easy to make a note of addresses in a real-life note book, or even on a 'Word'/'Notepad' document?

Sure, it is not quite as convenient, but if more people had less reliance on such computer-based facilities such as in-built 'Address Books', then the user is surely helping to prevent the furthur dominance and infection of such malicicous codes.

And if a virus (etc) is chastised in such a way, then viruses (etc) would surely be far fewer and less dangerous to anonymous individuals.

At least until they find another way of pillaging your hardware, that is.

Bapou 20:52 11 Sep 03

I see nothing wrong with keeping an address book. Then again I make sure I never open an attachment, no matter who it's from, before scanning with AV. There's a lot of users out there who don't follow simple security procedures. MSBlast proved that.

bremner 20:56 11 Sep 03

Viruses like Sobig do not limit themselves to address books it will seek out e amil adresses in files with the following extensions

Sketch 21:19 11 Sep 03

Still, you cannot deny that it would make a valid deterrant for a minor virus' prosperity.

..... and, like I said, 'At least until they find another way of pillaging your hardware'....

Sketch 21:22 11 Sep 03

And there is always the humble pen and paper, if a virus starts to get clever and start to think 'outside of the box'....

For even the most potent of any virus, worm or indeed trojan, cannot read .paper files!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…