Oulook Express 6 Failure to send Mail

x3sw 21:35 30 Apr 04

I have today lost the ability to send e-mail. The error returned is:
An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C012E

I am using OE 6 with Windows ME. I have tried system restor & reverting OE to V5. Any ideas?

GaT7 22:16 30 Apr 04

Outlook Express' *.dbx mail files are probably set to the 'read only' attribute. To change this: Click Start -> Find -> Files or Folders, In the Named box, type *.dbx, in the Look In, C drive. Then click Find Now. Highlight all files found. Right-click the lot, click Properties & uncheck the 'Read Only' box. Click Apply, Close. [Note: the *.dbx files should only have Archive checked.]

GaT7 22:19 30 Apr 04

If it works, reinstall IE/OE6. Then go to Windows Update - click here - & d'load/install all the available IE hotfixes & security patches.

Mo H 22:20 30 Apr 04

You havent changed to ex-directory on your phone have you? If so you need to add 1470 to the dial up number in Internet options

x3sw 22:24 30 Apr 04

Thanks, Crossbow. In fact, it was the "Sent Items" folder which was Read Only as OE was trying to copy to this on sending the mails.

beeuuem 22:25 30 Apr 04

You could try:-

Outlook Express *.dbx mail files are set to read only.

Click Start, point to Find, then click on Files or Folders.

In the Named box, type *.dbx, in the Look In, C drive, then Find Now.

Right click each *.dbx file, click Properties & clear the Read Only check box.

Click Apply, then Close. Note the *.dbx files should only have Archive checked.

beeuuem 22:26 30 Apr 04

Too slow - again!
Glad it was sorted.

GaT7 22:48 30 Apr 04

Glad it was sorted too! Don't forget reinstalling IE6 & d'loading all the updates!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…