LoadFail
VXD = VSHARE
LoadFail
APM DISABLED BY DEVICE MANAGER
LOAD FAIL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\VPOWERED.VXD
DEVICEINITFAILED = MTRR
INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD
LOADFAIL ATILCD.DLL FAILURE CODE IS 0000

Prior to all of this I had tried to adjust a partition, yes I know now it was a stupid thing to do but hey we learn.

I've tried, because I can get to the C; prompt to run SCANREG/RESTORE but this did not work!

Also tried a reboot from disk but it wanted to format disk, no don't go there I haven't got all my important files backed up yes I can hear you all laughing.

can anyone HELP!

User-312386 22:57 30 Mar 03

are you able to get into windows?

Have you tried just typing "exit"(no quote marks" in msdos

the scanreg bit you need to type "scanreg/fix"

woodchip 23:09 30 Mar 03

Try running Win98 over itself from start disc. unless it's a restore disc then you are in trouble unless you can borrow a 98 disc

woodchip 23:12 30 Mar 03

PS you could try this it will not harm you files, start with startup floppy disc at A:\> type FDISK/MBR then reboot and see if it will go

Switcher 00:15 31 Mar 03

You appear to have a windows problem. At least three scenarios are available to recover your data.

1. Because you can get to the DOS prompt you can copy all your data to another disk or PC using laplink.

2. Try starting in safe mode if you can then you will be able to transfer all your data to another disk using windows explorer.

3. Set your disk as Slave. Insert a spare disk as master put an os on the new master and copy all your data from original.

Onnce you have your data and any other important files safe you can then Format and re-install windows again.

GazMaz 07:00 31 Mar 03

Thanks for the replies, I am having to go on a course so won't be able to try those until back on tuesday, I cannot get into windows in any format but I can get to the C: prompt so it seems that not all is lost.

I'll let you know how I get on thanks again for the help so far.

GazMaz 13:35 02 Apr 03

OK I've been able to get onto another drive that I had on the PC, but I'm not sure where I go from here.
The new boot drive is a 3 gig drive old and whirring.

So now I can see all of my old files but I want to get the old C: up and running without have to start afresh!
Don't want to loose all those settings if poss.

At one point whilst trying to install 98 on the original drive I got a
If you have HPFS or NTFS, you must create an MS-DOS Boot Partition error.
This lead onto my installing on the old drive, so can I fix the error on my original drive from the newly installed drive!

Hope this makes sense!

GazMaz 14:42 02 Apr 03

As a further thought to make life easier, is there anyway I can pick up my Old outlook files so I don't loose my emails everything else can be saved onto the new disk I have, and I can mess about with it once I have reinstalled Windows, but I am struggling with indentifying where my outlook will have the mail data!

woodchip 23:04 02 Apr 03

If you have a boot error, start with your Windows floppy startup disc and leave it until you get A:\> then type fdisk/mbr to fix the Master Boot record then restart and it should go into windows at A:\> it should look like this

A:\>fdisk\mbr

if you have not got a boot disc download from click here

woodchip 23:05 02 Apr 03

sorry that should be A:\>fdisk/mbr

GazMaz 12:35 03 Apr 03

I have finally got win98 up and running by doing a combination of fdisk formating etc.

Bit I'm now sitting with no data, as somehow I have also wiped clean the backup disk! Didin't format it but fdisk'ed it (I think) ouch.

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So I've now got to see if I can find some software to recover the data on the disk!

Any idea's?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…