osCommerce - Securing the site.

fourjays 20:20 11 Nov 04

I am thinking of setting up osCommerce, instead of my crude implementation of the Paypal ecommerce setup on my current website (click here).

The only problem I am coming across at the moment, is security. In my account control panel, there is a part called 'Shared SSL'. When I try to activate it on the domain, it says 'no shared ssl available on the system'. Is this something that the host needs to turn on, or is it like one of those really expensive things?

I have set-up oscommerce to use nothing except paypal. Would that mean it takes the customer to one of Paypal's SSL pages to make the payment?

mac_gyver 17:44 16 Nov 04

OsCommerce is a great bit of software and would certainly make creating an online store much easier. For anyone who doesn't know OsCommerce is an open source PHP e-commerce solution and can be downloaded for free at click here

To answer your question you do not need to implement SSL as all payments will be done through PayPal and they use their own secure servers. This makes things a lot easier for you as you can just put the site on a normal http server.

Make sure you secure your admin area and make the config files read only.

Good sites you might want to look at:
OsCommerce Knowledge base - click here
OsCommerce Forums - click here
OsCommerce Documentation - click here

Hope this is of some use

fourjays 18:35 16 Nov 04

Thanks, that helps alot. Im on a Windows server, so I presume I don't need to take any actions to secure the admin and config?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…