OS/Apps partitions - which apps should go where?

Pier1 19:18 20 Feb 03

Hi, follow-up to my recent thread.

I understand that it's best to separate the OS and applications on two partitions (I've got my data on a third one).

BUT - should this mean all applications? I'm thinking about the KEY apps you see,
eg antivirus, zip drive software, firewall, MS Office, IE6, directX, CD burning software etc

Gongoozler 20:09 20 Feb 03

Pier1, I don't see the advantage of separating Windows and Applications on different partitions. I can only speak from my experience with Windows 98se, but my reasoning is that if Windows gets corrupted beyond repair, I will reformat my C: drive and reinstall Windows. If I do that, then I will have to reinstall the applications anyway to get the correct registry and ini file entries. My hard drive has 3 partitions. 10G C: partition for Windows and Applications, 6G E: partition for backing up the C: partition using the Windows Backup utility. The rest of the drive I use for my D: partition for saved files. If Windows gets irreparably corrupted, I will format the C: drive and reinstall Windows. Then using the Windows backup utility, I will restore the complete C: drive from the latest backed up version on the E: drive. I am sure there are easier ways using third party software, but my method works. I also realise that instead of the E: partition I would be safer using a removeable drive, but hard drive failures are rare enough that as long as I have copies of the data files on cd, having to reinstall all the applications would not be too much of a catastrophe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…