OS upgrade - opinions sought.

wotbus@ 12:22 31 Dec 05

My old PC has WinMe and I am thinking about putting XP onto it. Question is this: Overwrite it with the upgrade version or install the full version. Pro's and con's. With the full version that's all I will end up with but upgrading I will still retain all the programs which are in place now? The installation discs which came with the old PC contain a lot of the pre-installed stuff. Is the upgraded version just as stable as the real deal? Voilà - nice easy one for NYE :-)

Diodorus Siculus 12:25 31 Dec 05

My preference is always for a clean install; this can be done with an upgrade disk.

What specification is your machine?

wotbus@ 12:30 31 Dec 05

Hi there Diodorus Siculus.
It's an older HP Pav. I have already maxed the memory [512mb] and changed the 850mhz CPU to 1.1ghz Duron [also the max]. I am planning to upgrade the hardware later with a new mobo which will take the CPU of my existing PC when I upgrade that, but in the meantime as the OS is French I would like my wife to get used to XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:02 31 Dec 05

XP will run ok on a 1.1G with 512Mb Ram

Take whatever files you want off it, format and do a cleam install. Likely to be alot less problems then.

wotbus@ 15:26 31 Dec 05

OK Fruit Bat - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…