O/S Setup on new mb.

krall 19:22 12 May 04

Recently upgraded mb to AsusA7N8X Deluxe Ver 1.6,256mb ram,MSI FX5600 v/card,and new Sata 120GB hard disk to replace original defunct disk.
My problem is Win98SE setup stops responding some 12 minutes before the end whilst looking for installed hardware with error message 'SUWIN ERROR, invalid Command Com.Enter correct name of Command Interpretor, eg C:\Command COM?
Setting up with WIN3.1 is not a problem, but upgrading to WIN98 from this with 'upgrade' disk I seem to encounter the same error message as above. Most grateful for any help

QuickHare 19:33 12 May 04

Command.com is the backbone to DOS. It is the program that gives you your command prompt, and also may be used to do file transfers.

If you have one (you should have), put a boot disk into the floppy drive when this error happens and in the box type "A:\COMMAND.COM" without the speech marks. Click ok and see if that helps.

You may need to remove the disk after the computer has finished with it.

This idea comes from the fact that Command.com it deleted or moved or renamed during the setup process, when Setup obviously has not finished with it. Since the command prompt is not visible, Setup catches the error and throws up a box. If anyone else from the Forum has a fix or workaround, please help out as this is the only advice I can give.

woodchip 19:37 12 May 04

This is what I would try first, Format the disc to have clean disc again start with Win98 floppy disc choose start with CD rom support then copy the Win98 folder to the hard drive. Now remove cables from CD drive do not have any other hardware than Floppy and Hard drive remove sound card and things you can put in after you have got windows on the disc you can then start with floppy and navigate the hard drive and run setup from the windows directory

QuickHare 19:45 12 May 04

Personally, I would try my idea first as it doesn't involve opening up the computer. If it doesn't work, try Woodchip's.

krall 20:25 12 May 04

Many thanks woodchip and QuickHare for prompt response. Will let you know how I get on asap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…