O/S Reinstallation failure

Borazo 12:15 27 Nov 03

Hello friends.
I've been trying to reinstall Win98se over the existing one. Along the line I'm told the ff on the monitor:
" Your computer may have a disk-compression program installed on it. Because this system may contain an existing operating system or data, setup cannot continue....."
What does this mean and what is the way around it? Thanx

MichelleC 12:29 27 Nov 03

Try reinstalling in safemode. The partition wasn't cloned at all?

alcudia 12:38 27 Nov 03

Or: Is your hard drive compressed?

Borazo 08:30 28 Nov 03

Thanks MichelleC, but the m/c refused to do the reinstallation. There was no cloning or anything like that.
Also thanks to you, alcudia. How does one tell whether his hd is compressed?
Thanks again to you both.

alcudia 08:46 28 Nov 03

To compress your drive in Win98 you would have had to run something called DriveSpace3. You would then se in explorer an additional drive. I think the default letter was H. However it is possible for this "Host Drive" to be hidden.

If you cannot see this drive open DriveSpace. I think it's found under accessories. and have a look a what is revealed. Memory about this is a bit dim now, but you should see enough to reveal whether it is compressed or not, together with the options to decompress.

If you do have to decompress you will have to make sure there is enough space. I think that Drive Space comes up with a window showing the before and after space on the drive, and will certainly tell you if there is not enough. In which case you will have to delete until there is.

Drive C is actually one huge folder that is in the host drive.

alcudia 08:50 28 Nov 03

Following on I think it is also possible to simply delete the compressed drive using the advanced options in drive Space. This will restore the Host to it's original state.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Borazo 09:44 28 Nov 03

Thanx again, Alcudia. I couldn't find DriveSpace under accessories. I then went to start/Find and typed in DriveSpace and proceeded but it could not be found on the pc. In Windows Explorer, there are only 3 drives registered - A, C and D.
Anymore suggestuions? I appreciate your help, Alcudia.

alcudia 10:38 28 Nov 03

Just fired up an old Win98 machine here in the office.

It's under Accessories\System Tools.

Ex Cossack 11:00 28 Nov 03

Most times Win98se will re-instal over the top with no problems, but it needs to be done from DOS using a boot floppy disk with CD support. If you haven't got one go to click here and download the file for win98se. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from floppy first. Now reboot your computer with the Boot Disk in and when you get to the A:\ prompt put the Windows CD in and change to D: and then type setup and press enter.

If that doesn't work you need to find the file called command.com which is normally in C:\Windows and delete it. (this is the file that is informing you there is already an operating system on this computer) and then try again.

NOTE: Do a backup first.

Borazo 11:04 28 Nov 03

On my Win98se pc it is not under System Tools. The closest resemblence is Drive Converter(FAT 32). I can't find DriveSpace anywhere on my pc.

alcudia 11:55 28 Nov 03

Obviously not installed then, so your drive is probably not compressed and we have been barking up the wrong tree.

Therefore do what Ex Cossack says. I took it for granted that you were using a boot disc.

Just one point. PJ doesn't the Win98 startup disc create a ram drive which takes over the D label and you actually have to install from E.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…