O/S not recognised

starlet 22:20 03 Dec 03

O/S Win 2000 pro, 60 gig HDD, upgrading from AMD 1400,fitted new M/B ASRock K7s8XE, and a AMD 2400 and 256 DDR P2700 RAM, set BIOS to boot from HDD get to windows start screen and gets a blue stop screen it says check HDD with scandisk/all, have run scandisk it reports HDD is clean with no problems but will not continue to boot up.
so put back old M/B with 1400 chip and all starts up with no problems.

Has anyone heard of problems like this please and can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Regards Starlet

Jester2K II 22:26 03 Dec 03

Yes I've heard of this.

This is why you should always do a clean install after replacing a motherboard. The problem is more than likely caused by the motherboard drivers and IDE drivers for the old board clashing with the new board.

It CAN work (I've even done it once) but its NOT recommended or guaranteed to work.

One of the rare occasions I'll say - Format and reinstall Windows.

woodchip 22:27 03 Dec 03

Have you reformatted you drive and reloaded OS if not that's why

starlet 22:32 03 Dec 03

I was hoping to do a straight swap with out having to reformat as I have a lot of stuff on the HDD I did not want to move or lose, is there any other way?

Jester2K II 22:36 03 Dec 03

Put the old mobo in.

Backup.

Replace Mobo.

Boot with floppy and format and reinstall.

No other way.

Even if there was another way round it i doubt it would be stable.

starlet 22:39 03 Dec 03

Thanks everyone for the information, I better get started then.
Regards Starlet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…