o.s. on new hdd

Sparky3327 07:57 17 Jun 03

I've recently added a bigger hdd. If I move everything from my small one to the bigger one and format the small one, will the o.s. still work from its new destination? Will it need to recognise where it now is before working properly?
Cheers,
Grezza.

Lú-tzé 08:33 17 Jun 03

It depends on how you move it: if you have something like Norton Ghost there should be no problem. It is aslo possible to use xxcopy according to some users on these forums but I have no experience of this.

I would suggest that you format and partition the new hdd as you want it, install it as slave, move the complete OS over.

Then install it as master without the old hdd and reboot. When all is fine, install the old hdd as slave and then format as required.

Magik ®© 09:46 17 Jun 03

to add my bit, just done what you are saying, my new seagate drive was up and running within no time by downloading the software from their site, you had a choice "make new drive the master while keeping the old drive" making the new drive for storage" or making the new drive master and forgetting the old drivw, i went for the first one, ticked the box, and it done the lot...

Sparky3327 09:57 17 Jun 03

Excellent, thanks to both of you!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…