O/S on my back up hard drive

User-324448 16:12 10 Sep 04

Hi I have a back up hard drive to store important files on,(it has no operating system on it,) I simply drag 'em onto it. If I purchase an XP Pro CD can I simply install this onto my back up hard drive, without anything interfering with the XP home I have on my C drive now, or is it more complicated than I think it is. Thanks Prof.

TomJerry 16:14 10 Sep 04

If you use proper software to set up. Partition Magic (with Bootmagic), HyperOS, OS Selector, System Commander etc.

But why you need Pro if you have home. Not much different Pro over Home unless you connect to a company network which uses domain name.

Diodorus Siculus 16:16 10 Sep 04

It is pretty simple - just do an advanced install and it will set up the dual boot for you - at startup you will then have the option of which to choose.

User-324448 16:39 10 Sep 04

Tom/Jerry I can operate a computer fine but the inards confuse me a little Can I then Install my existing home XP onto my backup drive? I only have the repair disc ? as for the other stuff you mentioned, I have none of it. I like Diodorus's idea but is the advanced option on my CD

Stuartli 16:54 10 Sep 04

There is a very considerable difference between XP Home and Pro - the latter is far more business, network and security orientated.

Perhaps you would care to read more about XP Home:

click here

and XP Pro:

click here

Stuartli 17:01 10 Sep 04

This should help:

click here

User-324448 18:03 10 Sep 04

Thanks for the information, I remember now when researching how to add a new hard drive earlier this year, drive Image was mentioned many times. looks like this will be the way to go.
Thanks for the rapid and helpful response. Prof.

TomJerry 20:21 10 Sep 04

I know there are considerable difference. But

Can you tell me a few things a user (without the need of accessing Lan with domain name) need which XP home cannot offer? Apart from Backup (not very good and can also be install separatly) of course.

Stuartli 10:00 11 Sep 04

Read the last 10 words again of the first paragraph in my 16.54 posting, rather than just airily dismiss XP Pro's main assets.

They can be just as valuable in many instances to home users - such as me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…