OS fails to boot following migration

skinnymuppet 09:18 26 Sep 09

Hello.

I am trying to migrate one HDD to a larger one in part as the bearing in the original is close to failing.

I am using 'migrate easy' and the whole process goes smoothly until I disconnect the original HDD and try to boot with the new one.

It fails to boot and I get the error message 'WINLOAD.EXE MISSING'. My only idea is that perhaps the new HDD is not designated as C: but surely migration should overcome this?

Please advise as I don't know how long my old HDD is going to last!

Many thanks,

Tim

Try Binging it. click here

Technotiger 09:49 26 Sep 09

Found this via Google ... scroll down to the entry by *Devine logic* which appears to be a solution. You might be correct about designation of drive ...

click here

sharpamat 09:56 26 Sep 09

You do not give any details of either the system or the O/S you have migrated.

Are we correct in assuming that when you complected the migration,and disconnected the original haed drive that.

The size of your new drive is supported by your O/S

and that you correctley set both the jumper settings and or cable settings to master for the new drive

skinnymuppet 10:11 26 Sep 09

Sorry Sharpamat.

systemm is a quad core q8200 with vista home premium OEM purchased separately. I have a failing 500 gig Western digital SATA HDD and am trying to migrate to a 750 gig hitachi deskstar SATA. Everything is set up correctly including the cables after migration.

@doodles: I have looked at devine logic and dos command prompt locks me out saying device not ready among other things.

Wits end here I come!

skinnymuppet 10:12 26 Sep 09

sorry last entry was to Technotiger not doodles

skinnymuppet 12:13 26 Sep 09

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I remedied the matter by inserting the Vista disc clicking on 'repair'. It then told me that I had a boot problem and offered to repair it. After I restarted it worked! Yay!

Technotiger 12:31 26 Sep 09

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…