OS on Dead HDD

jagsman 12:55 22 Nov 07

My Hard drive has decided to commit suicide, it had OEM version of Vista Premium installed on it. I burned the recovery disc when i first got the PC, but will it be of any use to me? Can i use the recovery disc to install Vista onto my new Hard Drive? or have i lost everything? The reason i ask is because i was led to believe that the recovery disc does not contain the full set of files needed for a new installation, it also requires files that are hidden on the original hard drive. Can someone please help ?

thank you

MAJ 13:08 22 Nov 07

As you'll need a new hard drive in any case, why not just try it and see. I don't use Vista yet, so I'm not sure if it's just a recovery in case of a crash, or, a complete recovery in case of a dead hard drive, as in your case.

xania 14:34 22 Nov 07

I don't know how old your PC is, but I would have thought that your warranty should cover a replacement HDD with the OS installed - but, of course, you've lost all your oter files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…