OS Changing Drives

POP 00:11 17 Mar 07

I have just replaced my MB-Vid.Card.CPU, Memory,& main Hard drive. I originally had XP on a Partion on a 40Gig HD,Partioned 10Gig for XP,30Gig for Utilities. I also had a 160 Gig drive unpartioned for my Games.After installing these drives onto the new Comp. I found that the OS had installed itself onto the 160Gig drive,unpartioned,and the 40Gig Drive was unpartioned.When I tried to retrieve the Games off the Games drive the drive tried to install the OS then crashed the drive.Can anyone tell me why this might have happened, and also how I can access the Games Drive to retrieve the Games? Pop Lakin.

Forum Editor 00:29 17 Mar 07

on a drive without you knowing. It will, by default, install on the C drive, that is the drive that is set as the master on your IDE controller.

You say that you have replaced your 'main' hard drive, and I assume that by this you mean you replaced the master - the one on which the Operating system was on? A hard drive wouldn't 'try' to install an operating system when you try to retrieve software from it.

I suspect that what has happened is that you've installed a drive into a new machine that already had Windows XP installed on it from a previous machine. Unfortunately you can't do that and expect the system to work - the Windows registry on the drive will contain references to the hardware configuration of the previous machine.

To get Windows XP onto the 160Gb drive you must have inserted the installation CD - there's no other way it would install itself.

POP 14:21 17 Mar 07

To Forum Editor, thank you for your response, but perhaps I did not make quite clear exactly what I had done.I installed a new MB,CPU,Vid Card,Memory,and 200GB Sata Drive.I then installed XP Pro 64bit OS but due to my Broadband modem was unable to connect to the Net to get drivers. I then reinstalled my XP Home OS after Formatting the new drive. I tried, useing a caddy to get some files off my old 40GB Utilities drive,this is the one that had the OS on a 10GB partion and the 40GB partion with the files that I wanted.I was amazed to find the OS missing. I then installed the 160GB Games HD to retrieve my games but something started trying to install on the comp and the comp.Froze I forget exactly the fault that came up,but the tree was on the desktop with all the games folders and the windows files.I could not access anything and had to shut the comp down and remove the caddy before restarting.THE XP OS has vanished from the 40GB HD and at least seems to be on the 160GB. Pop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac