OS for a barebones system

paradiddle1984 18:31 19 Oct 05

Hi all,

I've just bought a barebones PC system after my compaq evo finally fell over so now I need a new copy of XP home or pro as my old version won't work on the new system as it is solely for the Compaq/HP Systems.

Im not fussed whether its home or pro that i get but i need to know exactly what im looking for as there are different versions ie OEM etc and im unsure of what this means.

The barebones will have no OS on it whatsoever so I need a full install really.

Cheers everyone!

Diodorus Siculus 18:47 19 Oct 05

Get an OEM version (by necessity a full version) of home - best value for money.

It will need to come with some hardware and will be tied to that hardware according to the agreement.

paradiddle1984 18:52 19 Oct 05

the thing is, ive already purchased my motherboard and case and all my other hardware is coming from my old system (it was the psu that failed).

therefore i have all my required hardware. I just need the operating system

€dstowe 18:54 19 Oct 05

Depending whre you go, a mouse can count as qualifying hardware. Check around different suppliers.

DieSse 19:33 19 Oct 05

See if you can get it from the same place you got your motherboard from - they may let you have it as an "accompaniment" to the motherboard.

paradiddle1984 20:07 19 Oct 05

i think its too late now, my board and case are due tomorrow morning, all from ebuyer.

ebuyer do xp home oem with a mouse for 80quid.

failing that theres ebay, buy it nows for around 50-60, thats the genuine ones with holograms etc

Diodorus Siculus 21:29 19 Oct 05

Beware of ebay - there is always the possibility that it has been activated. Personally, I really don't think it's worth the risk.

bemuzed 21:36 19 Oct 05

I think ebuyer recently had a XP OEM with a mouse for £54.

bazb 21:46 19 Oct 05

You can get it from click here with HDD Cable for £58.74

PC Bilbo 22:40 19 Oct 05

Try these people.I have bought here with no problems.

click here

Strawballs 22:43 19 Oct 05

I bought my copy of OEM XP Pro from click here to go with bare bones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…