Organising Bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox

Severn Bore 15:52 21 Feb 05

Hi
I have been using Firefox for some time now and have various bookmarks organised into different subject folders.
With IE6 any open folders would automatically close when IE6 was closed. This does not happen with Firefox, so that you have a load of open folders and files in your bookmarks window, making navigation a real pain.
I have tried to find a way to automatically "collapse" the folders at the end of my Firefox session so that when I reopen it everything is neat and tiy, but so far have not found a solution.
Can any of you clever people tell me if there is a way to achieve this.

Gongoozler 16:02 21 Feb 05

I find that this happens if I have Bookmark Manager open, but the normal Bookmark pane collapses and closes automatically.

Stuartli 16:06 21 Feb 05

Right click on the left hand Bookmarks panel and select Expand or Collapse as required.

If you left click on the Bookmarks button on a full webpage, you will get a list of folders (with menu arrows) and individual URLs listed underneath.

Gongoozler 16:57 21 Feb 05

Right - I see the confusion now. I only ever use bookmarks via the menu at the top, not via the navigation toolbar. I don't even have the bookmark icon displayed. I find that keeping the bookmark pane open just wastes screen space.

Stuartli 18:08 21 Feb 05

You don't have to have the Bookmarks pane open permanently - just click the Bookmarks button on the Toolbar to Open or click again for Off: same for History.

woodchip 18:32 21 Feb 05

If like Netscape, Where Firefox came from, and will soon have the speed of Firefox. I just use the Bookmarks Menu then click at the side and it's gone. or Navigate to site in bookmarks, click and the list goes away

woodchip 18:35 21 Feb 05

Or as in your Title click Bookmarks in Menu the Manage Bookmarks where you can create folders and just cut and paste sites

Gongoozler 10:00 22 Feb 05

Hi Stuartli. I know I don't have to have the bookmark pane open permanently, it's just that I don't see any advantage to using it at all when accessing via the menu does all that I want. I supppose that's the reason the toolbar icon is optional, it lets users configure the options the way that suits the way they work.

woodchip 23:21 22 Feb 05

For me in Netscape it works just the same Icon or Menu

Stuartli 13:15 23 Feb 05

You don't really need to cut and paste websites into Bookmarks - just drag and drop the icon to the left of the URL in the address bar into whichever folder it is required.

woodchip 19:32 23 Feb 05

I Do that in Manage Bookmarks, under Menu in Netscape. So I can sort them into what order I want to. Include create folders

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…