"Ordinal 129"

Howard-219717 10:28 04 May 05

I have recently had to upgrade to a new computer with Windows XP-SP2. I managed to transfer most of my programs etc from the old computer (Windows 98SE), downloading and re-loading the remainder.

Two error messages now appear occasionally, but it is not always possible to determine the cause. This one may be linked with uploading an e-mail (with Mozilla Thunderbird):
[Header] ccApp.exe - "The ordinal 129 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll"
Click 'OK' and all apparently continues as normal.

But this very similar very occasional error has no obvious link:
"The ordinal 21 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll"

A search shows that the file MAPI32.dll is present in C:\i132 and in C:\Windows\system32.

Have I deleted something in an over-enthusiastic spell of housekeeping?

DieSse 10:36 04 May 05

click here

The above relates to a similar problem with Eudora - but may give you the clue - try turning off the MAPI service in Thunderbird.

Howard-219717 12:41 15 May 05

As someone suggested, I downloaded a new MAPI32.dll file from DLL-files.com and put it in the i386 folder.

This I did, with immediate benefit. No more error messages about Ordinal 129 or 21 - for 5 days! Now the error messages have returned, though much less frequently.

Does it matter? Click on 'OK' and the computer seems to behave quite normally.

Does anyone know anything about this?

DieSse 13:33 15 May 05

Try this

1. In Outlook Express, click Options on the Tools menu.
2. On the General tab, click the "Make Outlook Express my default Simple MAPI client" check box to clear it.
3. Click OK, and then click OK.

DieSse 13:39 15 May 05

From reading the hits in the link I gave earlier, it seems likely that the problem is caused by other emails MAPI services conflicting with Outlook and Outlook Express MAPI services - try deselccting the MAPI service in Outlook also if you have it.

Howard-219717 17:39 16 May 05

I use only Thunderbird and Firefox these days. I have never run I.Outlook and I.Explorer on my new computer - and I don't want to go back to either of them. Do you say I should do so in order to 'deselect the MAPI service' in Outlook?

DieSse 18:19 16 May 05

"Do you say I should do so in order to 'deselect the MAPI service' in Outlook?"

Just start them up, deselect the MAPI service, close them down, and see if it fixes the problem.

You don't have to use them at all - just make the change in the options for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…