ordering MP3 tracks by year/number in a folder

terendak_uk 20:36 28 Apr 04

I've put a set of MP3 songs from sequential years and want to order them in a temp folder prior to printing. Either by number or by year. Got XP and altho I pull down the View menu to "arrange icons by year/ track number", it won't do it. For eg "1. 1954 Tony Bennett - Stranger in Paradise" without quotes, 2. etc
Or "1954 - Tony Bennett...."Or even without the fulll stop after the track number. Each time I click the appropriate command, I still get a random order. What have I missed...?? Be very grateful for guidance.
I realise I can put into Word/equiv

dez fowler 20:41 28 Apr 04

the track number is a field in the ID3 tag of the mp3, right click the mp3 and select properties then click the summary tab and then the advanced button to view all the information.
You can edit track number and artist etc from here or you can use a tag editor such as Tag & Rename

terendak_uk 20:57 28 Apr 04

Didn't know that. Have changed the first three of the , currently 20 songs, but these three songs, despite inputting year and track number, do not appear as the first three entries in the list.....am I still missing something? Or do I need to "format" the other MP3 files the same way, before this will work?
Obliged for new info

terendak_uk 21:02 28 Apr 04

First two read year, artist, title. Second two entries( using same advice) give track number( 3 and 4), year etc??? Any help, please Dez?

terendak_uk 20:34 29 Apr 04

change effected. Interestingly 4/20 wouldn't conform to format eg "1. 1954 Bill Haley", just kept putting year first, therefore rest wouldn't order. If I single- clicked and actually edited them to conform to what I'd put in the panel recommended by Dez, these rogues then conformed. Must admit , when I clicked sort by year ....nothing, but when I clicked sort by track....all well. Ah, well the magic of PCs. Thanks dez

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…