Order of loading at start-up

TATHS 10:27 10 May 07

I am using XP home edition. When I boot up there are about a dozen icons appear in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen representing items which load on startup. They do not always appaer in the same order. in particular the Norton Security sometimes loads before the network program, sometimes after it.Does this matter? On a couple of occasions I have logged on to Outlook Express before the Norton has loaded. On these occasions I have apparently not had the anti-spam function. dropping out of OE and back in restores this. Again, is this important

tobyjug472002 11:49 10 May 07

Hi, if you go from the start menu>RUN and enter msconfig then press enter tab, then click on the tab that says 'start-up' and untick any programmes you dont wish to start when your PC starts up, your PC will start quicker and you wont have as many icons at the bottom right of the taskbar..ie, you dont need Printer, Winzip, and any downloaded programmes to Run at start-up.
Hope this may help?

TATHS 12:26 10 May 07

The problem is not what is loaded but the order in which they load. Why is Norton sometimes one of the first and at others the last to load? Is there any risk of picking up something if the network is open and norton not yet running?

Enoch 15:34 10 May 07

Even though you are possibly back on line before Norton fully loads, I think that you will find that you cannot receive emails or connect to the web before you are protected. This what happens on my system (XPhome).

The main way of getting infected is to NOT update protection

BurrWalnut 08:53 11 May 07

The icons in the system tray (bottom right) are only the 'user interface' aspect of the programs.

AV software is loaded as a service a (relatively) long time before the icons appear, so there is no chance of catching anything.

If you look at the Services Tab in msconfig you will see Norton in there.

ArrGee 13:10 11 May 07

Some freebie apps here:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced