Orange and Wireless Routers

SURVEY 10:01 06 Mar 08

I have heard that Orange Broadband is difficult to set up with any router other than its own Livebox (which I believe is a reworked Netgear). I do not wish to use their livebox in case I decide to chang ISP's and also becaue I need a router that has a good range.

I was just about to order a Netgear DG834PN or maybe a RangeMax NEXT DG834N when I learned that there may be potential conflicts with Orange. Orange support is pretty poor and I would hate to have to go through the agonies of setup dificulties!

AlexPB 10:47 06 Mar 08

I have an Orange Livebox and I have had no problems what so ever with it. No i might not be able to use it with another ISP but I find that it produces a very strong signal and is very reliable.

Alex

luthier 12:54 06 Mar 08

I am with Orange and use the DG834N. I did not have any problems setting it up - just make sure you are certain of the settings you need for Orange (go to the support pages for those) and make sure you know your username and password - seems obvious but for broadband I had to add 'fs' at the end of your username for some reason. Maybe because I still use an old Freeserve address. The DG834N is excellent, I've had mine for about 3 months and it has never dropped a connection. Not yet anyway...

SURVEY 12:58 06 Mar 08

luthier,

Thanks for this. I too have an old freeserve address and my preference is for a non-livebox router so that I can use it if I migrate away from Freeserve/Orange. How strong is the signal on your DG834N?

luthier 13:09 06 Mar 08

I have a Netgear WN121T usb adapter on my PC which is upstairs. The DG834N is downstairs but located near the ceiling of a room approx. 8m away from the PC. I consistently get 90-95% signal. My son's computer is also upstairs and has an old Linksys USB adapter, which is about 9m away from the DG834N and the signal is very low but he doesn't have any problems connecting either. My advice would be to get a bundle of the two Netgears (I got mine for the same price as the DG834N on its own).

luthier 13:13 06 Mar 08

I got mine from click here but I can't see the adapter now (or the bundle). CCL were very good at delivery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos