Orange DNS Problems?

TonyThePM 11:44 01 Jun 07

Hi Folks, for 3 days I´ve been unable to get into the ryanair web site. My ISP is orange, and I´m connected via their livebox with their standard settings. I get a "server not found" error as the page times out after about 20 seconds. I have two PCs (one XP, one VISTA) and a laptop (XPMCE) connected to the livebox, all give the same problem whether using Firefox or IE7.

I thought it might be a DNS problem at orange, and I´ve tried typing the IP address instead of the URL, but still no joy. I´ve tried IPCONFIG /flushDNS to see if there might be a local problem, but nothing.

I cannot change the DNS settings in the router (there is probably a config page in there somewhere, but I haven´t found it!!)

If I connect the laptop via my mobile I can connect to the web site.

So, I still cannot find if the problem is my livebox router, or my local network or a problem at orange. I´ve posted on the orange internet forum, and a few other users seem to have a problem too.

Anyone any suggestions for further things to try here, or is it orange/ryanair that is the problem?

Needless to say, orange tech support have been less than helpful suggesting that I try again later!

Grateful for any feedback or suggestions, but changing ISP is not on for the moment ;)

TonyThePM 11:50 01 Jun 07

Couple of other notes, I´ve tried disabling AVG antivirus and the Windows Firewall, leaving just the livebox firewall in place. Any other web site comes up fine, and no problems with email etc. This is a very site specific problem with ryanair dot com and bookryanair dot com

ventanas 12:17 01 Jun 07

I had something similar last year, also with a Livebox. There were three sites I couldn't access, but anywhere else, like here at work, there was no problem. I cured it by going into the Livebox settings and removing all security ( it didn't like it) and then re-enabling.

Might also work for you.

TonyThePM 13:58 01 Jun 07

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn´t tried disabling the livebox firewall. I set the livebox to "disabled" with windows firewall "on", but no joy. I´m obviously cautious about disabling both firewalls!

Appreciate your time!

I´ve run a full virus check, spybot S&D and ad-aware deleted caches and cookies, logged off the livebox and back on, powered everything down and rebooted, and can´t see what else I can try.

Cheers
Ray

ventanas 14:22 01 Jun 07

Hi, I didn't mean the Livebox firewall. (I permanently disabled that months ago) I removed the WPA security for a brief time, and then reinstated it. it was this that was blocking the sites.

Dipso 14:45 01 Jun 07

You could try Open DNS click here and apply the settings on your PC rather than the Livebox.

I had some problems accessing certain sites via my ISP recently and Opens DNS resolved this.

It's reversable if you later find the problem corrects itself.

TonyThePM 14:58 01 Jun 07

Hi Ventanas, the problem occurs on both wired and wireless connections so I don´t think this is WPA/WEP issue.

Dipso:
I tried OpenDNS last night before posting, setting the DNS in the TCP/IP properties on one PC. That worked, except it gave me some strange links to different pages than those I was expecting on the ryanair web site, including a few "cached" pages that I wasn´t happy with.

As I want to do some online bookings with my credit card, I baled out of further investigation!

However, it worked enough for me to think the main problem I´m seeing is with the Orange DNS servers.

Cheers

TonyThePM 14:58 01 Jun 07

Hi Ventanas, the problem occurs on both wired and wireless connections so I don´t think this is WPA/WEP issue.

Dipso:
I tried OpenDNS last night before posting, setting the DNS in the TCP/IP properties on one PC. That worked, except it gave me some strange links to different pages than those I was expecting on the ryanair web site, including a few "cached" pages that I wasn´t happy with.

As I want to do some online bookings with my credit card, I baled out of further investigation!

However, it worked enough for me to think the main problem I´m seeing is with the Orange DNS servers.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced