ORANGE BROADBAND PRICE RISES

SURVEY 11:46 16 May 09

I have just received a letter from my Broadband provider, Orange, stating that they are 'slightly'increasing my monthly charge from £12.99 to £19.99. This they say is due to them having to pay more for renting their lines. I am in a contract until February and they say that under their T&C's(conditions 12.1 and 12.3) they can increase the monthly charge without breaching their side of the contract. I am not given the option to ask for my MAC code without paying a penalty.

Has anyone alse been affected? Can they do this?

Graphicool1 17:01 16 May 09

When you say you just received a letter, was it an actual letter or an email. I've been with Orange for years and they always contact me via email. Further to this, up until last year i'd been paying £14.99 per month now I'm paying £14.67 pm?

southhead 17:30 16 May 09

I received a similar letter through the post a few weeks ago. They say my current package will no longer be available. I'm being moved to another package, and my subscription will be increased "slightly" from about £12 to £18. Orange has not pointed to any terms and conditions in my letter. This maybe because my current contract is just expiring.

Graphicool1 17:43 16 May 09

When I started with them it was called 'Freeserve' then it became 'Fsnet' then 'Wanadoo' now it's 'Orange' so you can see I've been with them for quite a few years. In fact, I've never been with anyone else. Initially I was dial up and for the past two years I've been on Broadband. No problems, in fact as you can see they've actually put my prices down lightly. The reason for that is I opted for paper free notification - email.

Woolwell 18:19 16 May 09

I'm on a Mobile and Broadband package and haven't had a price increase or decrease apart from the change in VAT. I did get an e-mail telling me that the home phone prices were changing but I don't use that package so was somewhat puzzled as to why I got the e-mail.
Like Graphicool1 I have been with them for years but when my contract is up will probably move to Sky mainly because of a better package and less spam.

SURVEY 18:20 16 May 09

I received a letter - no email. They did not refer to Terms and Conditions until I phoned them. Graphicooli - they did say in their letter that my package would no longer be available but that they are putting me on a package that would allow up to 8meg, despite the fact that our lines will not support more than the 2meg I am on already.

I too have been with Freeserve,Wanadoo and Orange and their Customer Service has always been very poor indeed.

I just wonder if anyone can tell me if what they are doing is actually legal. I can understand when one's contrcat expires but surely not during the currency of a contrcat?

laurie53 19:20 16 May 09

Nobody can tell you that without seeing your small print.

I would have thought they would have checked it out pretty thoroughly, but big firms do make mistakes.

See if Ofcom have any advice.

My contract with Orange expires this month and I won't be renewing.

SURVEY 20:15 16 May 09

Will try and check with Ofcom. At present because of problems over the years Orange gave me 6 months free and then they said originally I would go back to my £12.99 per month (or £19.99 as they now say); that recommences in August and the last 6 months of my contract expires in February. I shall not be renewing in February. I will probably go to BT at £15 per month (unless anyone suggests that they do not give a good service)!

Graphicool1 15:54 17 May 09

I can't see how they can make you pay for something you can't get! I can only get 1MB as I live in rural Norfolk.
When I signed up for Broadband, my contract was only for one year at £14.99 pm. That expired a year ago and as I said
I would take a very dim view if they tried to make me pay for something I couldn't get.
I feel that long time loyal customers should be cherished and cosseted. :¬]

SURVEY 16:15 17 May 09

Orange respond that they are discontinuing the package I am contracted to and this they are replacing with one UP TO 8meg although they agree I cannot get more than the line will take (2meg). They say they are being charged more for the line rental (by BT?) and that is why they are charging more to customers!!

Graphicool1 16:30 17 May 09

I'm not trying to talk it up you understand, but I wonder why they haven't contacted me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced