Optomise Your Wifi Connection

djmr.mel 20:48 11 May 07

Hi, In the June Edition of PCA the article about optimising wifi says pick a channel your neighbours not using but how do you know what channel they are using?

setecio 21:52 11 May 07

You can 'scan for available networks' and it will show you, as long as they are broadcasting their SSID.

If they are not, then I'm not sure that you can, or maybe someone else knows of some software that will pluck the details from the airwaves.

fitshase 22:22 11 May 07

Try this:-

click here

click on downloads and download "NetStumbler 0.4.0 Installer" - direct link (click here)

Shows the SSID, channel number, signal to noise ratio, etc. Link it up to a GPS antenna and you can find out the direction it comes from.

I use it once in a while as I live in a flat and there are a number of wireless networks around. Great tool for selecting a good channel number.

fitshase 22:26 11 May 07

I should add that I have a wireless network and use it to select channels that are unused.

I don't use it for connecting to unsecured networks nearby.

Just in case people think I am doing something untoward!

djmr.mel 22:59 11 May 07

Hi doesn't recognise my wireless adpter, which is a pain!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…