Optimize my computer

kiddgame2000 22:37 05 Jun 06

Is there any free software out there that i can use to optimize or tune up my computer, i just feel its getting sluggish.

Thanks

woodchip 22:47 05 Jun 06

Have you cleared all the refuse from the drive first. like all temp files, cookies etc then scan your Hard Drive for problems with Windows disc scanner and run Defrag both are in the same place. double click My Computer Right click C:\ TOOLS.

After the above see how it goes

gudgulf 23:07 05 Jun 06

CrapCleaner click here

Run the cleaner.....then the "Issues" scanner which will clear up registry errors.

Also check for the number of processes you have running.......in XP open Task Manager by rt clicking the Taskbar and selecting it from the popup menu.Look in the "Processes" tab.

Too many running processes can eat up al your RAM.

At the bottom of the screen under Processes look at the value for "Commit Charge:".......if the first set of numbers (mine is currently 681M....that is 681MB) is close to or greater than the amount of physical RAM memory you have installed you need to either upgrade your RAM or reduce the number of processes that run at start up.

GaT7 01:04 06 Jun 06

If you're using XP:

1. A Windows XP Optimization Guide click here

2. Optimize Windows XP click here

3. Ten Ways To Make Windows XP Run Better click here

4. Adjust performance options to speed up Windows XP click here

5. Restore Your Computer's Performance with Windows XP click here

6. XP Performance Tweaks click here

7. A guide to Tweak & Optimize XP click here

8. 7 Ways to Speed up and Optimize Windows XP click here

9. Speed Up XP click here

10. 23 Ways To Speed WinXP Without Defrag click here

If they don't do much, I would start afresh - first backup, reinstall XP & restore your backups. G

kiddgame2000 08:20 06 Jun 06

Thanks very much i will have a try at those this evening

rawprawn 08:48 06 Jun 06

You could also take this online scan it is very thorough (take the full pc tune up)
click here

Belatucadrus 14:24 06 Jun 06

click here Advanced Windows care, doesn't work miracles, but a pretty good freebie and quite a small download.

rmcqua 14:31 06 Jun 06

Some really useful stuff there, Crossbow7.
Thanks.

mattyc_92 17:43 07 Jun 06

Useful thread...
Worth a "bump" :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…