Optimal hard drive configuration?

instant^mash 01:32 06 Jul 03

Hello,

I have a new mobo + CPU (P4P800 + P4 2.4C)

I also have 2 HDD - a WD 80GB 7200 with 8MB cache
and a Maxtor ata133 20GB with 2MB cache.

Running Xp pro, what would be my best drive configuration options in terms of partitions,placement of swap file, use of 1 or both drives etc.?

Thanks

TC

keith-236785 06:50 06 Jul 03

its entirely up to you, my preference would be to partition the 80 gig into 2*40 gig, drive C: for windows, the second partition (D:)for files and utilities and saved stuff ie pictures, games etc (or a different windows, dual boot).

and the 20 gig as a backup drive E:, to hold a ghost image of drive c: and also the very important stuff from drive D:

just my personal choice, wait and see what others advise.

but as i said really, its up to you.

-pops- 07:03 06 Jul 03

I agree with paperman27 except for one minor point. He mentions dual boot. Very few people who install a second operating system actually use the second one. In that case a considerable chunk of the disk is wasted.

Brian

powerless 07:42 06 Jul 03

Extreme:

C:\Windows

D:\Program files (they will need to write to C: )

E:\Data files (word docs etc)

F\Images

G:\Videos

H:\Music

I:\Downloads

J:\Misc

Partition sizes accordingly on the 80GB drive, for the above...Add a little more.

K:\Swap File

L:\Backup (also to CD)

Above on 20GB drive.

OR Stick everything on the 80 Drive and use the 20GB as backup. You could partition the 80GB into 2 40GB partitions so you can continue to partition the 2nd 40GB whilst leaving C: at 40GB's.

powerless 07:50 06 Jul 03

From partitoning i have seen no performance gains - Its just easier to manage file.

But i've settled on:

2 partitions on my 120GB drive

Then a backup partition of my other drive.

instant^mash 09:36 06 Jul 03

Thanks for the info,

1 more question -

Is there noticable performence enhancement by having the swap file at the start of the second drive? Would the disparity in size between the disk buffers be an issue?

Thanks,

TC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…