Optical mouse problem

Jak_1 16:43 04 May 05

My optical mouse has suddenly started to behave oddly over the past few days, it will freeze then settle down again. Sometimes it will freeze completely needing a re-boot of the pc. This happens even with the newere mouse that came with my pc, this mouse has hardly been used. Seems like something is conflicting with it but no idea what. The only thing I have installed is emule.

Have tried using diff usb ports to no avail and re-installing mouse software. Any help would be much appreciated.

PC is an Advent AMD Athlon 64, Win XP-Home, 512 DDR RAM.

Diodorus Siculus 16:46 04 May 05

Any chance you are infected with spyware / adware / virus?

click here
SB click here
SpywareBlaster click here
cws click here
click here
AdAware

Technotiger 16:49 04 May 05

Hi, did you have any other mouse software on your pc before installing the later one? If so this should have been uninstalled first.

or

Are batteries involved? a constant source of annoyance with mouses, or is that meeces!

or

If cordless/wireless mouse, make sure no obstructions between mouse and wireless base aerial.

Jak_1 16:54 04 May 05

Hi both, I have MS antispy running in background and run AdAware SE, CWShredder and Spybot daily to clear spyware. The mouse is not a cordless mouse, I had not previously installed the mouse software as it had been running fine without it for the past 10 months. No hardware devices have been added for 8 months.

Thanks for your replies

Technotiger 17:01 04 May 05

Hmmmm - are you sure that it is the mouse which is doing the freezing? My pc sometimes freezes, especially on startup, sometimes takes several attempts to get started after pressing restart or having to switch off completely. When this happens the mouse of course freezes along with everything else. When yours freezes can you use ctrl/alt/del to close/restart? If you can not, then it is not necessarily the mouse causing the problem.

Cheeers.

Jak_1 17:16 04 May 05

No problem with the pc it'self, ctrl+alt=del works fine, just that the mouse pointer freezes in one spot and the led in the mouse goes out (both mice)or shines constantly bright. I can re-boot the pc via the keyboard with no problems.

woodchip 17:18 04 May 05

Go into Device Maneger and uninstall the mouse then restart Computer

Jak_1 17:19 04 May 05

will try that

Jak_1 17:47 04 May 05

Thanks everyone, seems my older mouse may be the problem. After uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times the mouse is dying on me, it is 6 years old now! The newer one that came with the pc now seems to be working fine. Still don't know what the orrig problem was but I do have one mose that is behaving as it should now. Have taken the software off for the older mouse.

anniel 17:49 04 May 05

and it was an extension programme in Firefox that caused my mouse and keyboard to misbehave. It was when I went to FF 1.0.3

Got rid of Foxy Tunes and the problem was cured.

Just a thought.

anniel 17:53 04 May 05

and it was an extension programme in Firefox that caused my mouse and keyboard to misbehave. It was when I went to FF 1.0.3

Got rid of Foxy Tunes and the problem was cured.

Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…