Optical drives-opening them up

g0slp 07:13 25 Oct 04

I've got a DVD/CR-RW writer which has stopped spinning up when a CD/DVD is placed inside it.

Needless to say, it's just outside warranty, but has not been used excessively.

I've tried cleaning it out without dismanting, but to no avail. I suspect that it'll be something simple, (like a dust ball jamming the drive) but how to get inside it? I removed the cover screws and released all obvious plastic catches, but it doesn't seem obvious how to proceed from there as there's still something 'hanging on', as it were.

Any practical suggestions gratefully appreciated, otherwise I'll have to put my hand in my pocket...:-((

Valvegrid 08:36 25 Oct 04

I take it you've tried different makes of disk, I'll found that to be a problem, never found the reason why. I wouldn't recommend opening the drive because the innards are delicate, on second thoughts I suppose it won't any more harm than is already done, just try not to touch the lead screw which drives the laser head, the lubricant is a special type which is not readily available plus don't get any particles of dust on it.

Good luck mate! But be prepared for the worst.

Paul.

g0slp 08:44 25 Oct 04

Different discs make no difference - it's just not spinning up at all...

Most ****** annoying, & (probably) expensive!

Mark

Spanglish 08:52 25 Oct 04

I tried it with a DVD RW, and though I have experience of Video Machines it is a different ball game and landed up buying a New DVD RW ( you can get them for @ £40.
As you have opened it just make sure you dont put one of your favorite CD's in ( just in case1)
Brian

g0slp 09:11 25 Oct 04

Thanks for those timely words of warning. First priority is to get the thing spinning up again if possible, but Ive a couple of 'appropriate' CDs for testing!

Cheapest I've seen for a new unit at present is £47, so if you've a cheaper source I'd be grateful. However, I'd sooner have the cash in my pocket!

Cheers.

Mark

Stuartli 09:17 25 Oct 04

Probably the drive belt has snapped.

Such drives are very fiddly to get apart - and get together again. If you misalign the lasers then it's all a waste of time.

Not worth it when a new DVD rewriter is about £45 upwards and probably with a superior specification.

g0slp 09:29 25 Oct 04

Good morning Stuartli

Thanks for your input; it's much appreciated. I wondered about the drive - I was actually thinking in terms of a direct drive, or possibly a simple clutch arrangement. I've never seen inside one of these devices before...

I don't mind tinkering with things like this, & as I said before, I'd sooner have the cash in my pocket!

No harm in trying, as the thing's u/s at present anyway.

Cheers.

Mark

Spanglish 19:02 26 Oct 04

Try Morgan Computers click here
But have alook @ as there are some DVD writers (-R +R etc ) for @ £48!
Brian

g0slp 19:07 26 Oct 04

Ta!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 26 Oct 04

From experience

Check another cCD or HDD works off the power cable /IDE cable.

Most of these things spin the disk straight off the end on the drive motor spindle.

No spin at all = motor or drive circuit failure

You may find when you take it apart that the disk spins for a second or two then stops. (Error message please insert disk in drive)
This is a laser ciruit failure, can't read disk so thinks one not in and stops motor. My last failure was this.

To be honest they are more trouble than they are worth to attempt to repair.

thms 19:33 26 Oct 04

Have a look click here
some interesting reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…