optical drives disabled after musicmatch uninstall

ss6c 18:40 25 Sep 06

I have seen some other thread that touch on this but they are quite detailed and my problem not at the same stage.

1. Problem with musicmatch jukebox, Musicmatch recommend uninstall and reinstall updated programme.

2. afterwards jukebox won't install and my internal CD/RW and dvd player and my external Sony DVD/RW disabled. Device manager can't turn them back on. Also I think it disabled my usb scanner, USB printer and hard drive OK though.
Although there are restore points system restore says it cannot restore to previous point!

3. Musicmatch won't re-install. after many emails with their support, hurrah Musicmatch installed but only my CD/RW re-enabled.
Not confident that Musicmatch are going to be able to help

4. Tried programme suggested to me called CDgone. Did not seem to help.

5. Device manager lists/recognises the hardware and says that drivers are OK. Red crosses next to the DVD drives.

Would an uninstall of the drives work? How do I do this without making things worse?
Anybody got any suggestions.

johnnyrocker 19:45 25 Sep 06

disable in device manager and reboot, machine should then find and re install.

johnny.

skidzy 20:09 25 Sep 06

did you mean disable..or did you mean to say uninstall and let xp reinstall the drivers.

This assuming its xp ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 25 Sep 06

Uninstall Drives and IDE channels, reboot the PC and let XP find and install new hardware.

ss6c 23:02 25 Sep 06

Thank you for replying. From my research i thought that the answer might be to uninstall etc. Unfortunately I am not sure how to do this. I don't want to muck things up more than they are.
I have Windows XP so I assume what I am looking at is to get them off the computer and then when it restarts it will detect new hard ware?

johnnyrocker 23:05 25 Sep 06

correct that is the theory xp cant come to much harm.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:08 25 Sep 06

right click 'my computer' select properties then hardware device manager right click the drives uninstall and reboot.

johnny.

GaT7 23:08 25 Sep 06

If none of the above works try the steps at click here. Eventually the patch I suggested did the trick in this instance. G

ss6c 23:56 25 Sep 06

Thank you it has worked for my optical drives. it seems a bit remiss that Musicmatch can produce a programme that basicly breaks your computer if you remove it!!

I would like to try the same with my scanner. it seemed to happen at the same time so i wonder if it was the same issue.

I can't find my scanner in device manager to uninstall it. would it be one of the USB items, if so how do I know which one?

GaT7 00:04 26 Sep 06

"I can't find my scanner in device manager to uninstall it. would it be one of the USB items, if so how do I know which one?" - if the scanner has a USB connection, try physically pulling the USB connector out & reseating it. As it's USB it shouldn't require a reboot. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…