Optical Drives

steph_ere 15:51 29 Jan 07

Hi, I'm having a computer built. I've no idea about anything to do with computers but I wanted to have a try at choosing specific parts that I want. I'm not sure about the whole CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD ROM... etc. I'd like to use it for both CDs and Dvds so does that mean I have to get one of each or something? Really confused about it all...

ArrGee 15:54 29 Jan 07

A DVD Re-writer will write to both DVDs and CDs

steph_ere 15:55 29 Jan 07

Totally-braindead 15:56 29 Jan 07

CDROMs can only read CDs, DVD ROMs can read CDs and DVDs, CD WRITERS can read CDs and write to blank CDs, there is also a combined DVD CD writer which can read CDs and DVDs and write to CDs but not DVDs. The last one is the DVD writer which can read CDs and DVDs and write to them both.
If you just want to read CDs and DVDs then a DVD ROM will do that, if you want to create or copy your own CDs and DVDs then you'd be as well getting a DVD writer.

ArrGee 15:58 29 Jan 07

Something like this will do the trick for you
click here

Totally-braindead 16:02 29 Jan 07

Very expensive from PCW click here

rodriguez 16:18 29 Jan 07

If you want to copy from one disc to another, I'd say put a DVD ROM drive in the top and then have a DVD-RW drive underneath it. If you're not going to do much copying, you'll be OK with just a DVD-RW in there on it's own. If you're not going to record any discs at all, then it's cheaper to just have a DVD ROM.

postie24 16:42 29 Jan 07

Even cheaper click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now