Optical drive only recognised when pc is restarted

jasperone 12:41 19 Mar 05

I have just fitted a Pioneer 109 DVD writer.
When first installed Windows XP (SP2) recognised the drive and installed it.
Now when I turn off and start up again the drive doesn't show in explorer. But if I restart (as opposed to shutting down) the drive is then recognised.
I have two hdd "C" & "D" a samsung cd re-writer
"E" and the pioneer as "F".
The cd re-writer is set to master.
I have set the pioneer DVD writer to slave.

Any ideas why I need to restart to get the drive recognised?

Thanks

jasperone

JonnyTub 12:56 19 Mar 05

Go to device manager once you have the drive recognised by the operating system, locate the ide channel the drive sits on and right click on it, select uninstall and reboot, windows will reinstall the ide channel drivers and all periphials connected to it (i.e. your writer) uponj reboot. This serves to reinstall the drivers should any be corrupt.

Be aware that:

Pioneer have released an important firmware update for this drive, could possibly be the cause, the update adds support for more media but also improved compatibility with more systems. I know this from a previous thread for which i emailed pioneer to back up my case for flashing the firmware (which I didn't have to do in the end), the update iteslf is quick and painless but also runs from windows, make sure the os recognises the drive first and there are no yellow exclamations next to it in device manager. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…