Optical Character Recognition - recommend any you have used?

Diemmess 15:38 13 May 14
Answered

I use OCR in the Omnipage version 12 for less and less these days, but it saves me a lot of work when I need to use it. This oldish software is somehow putting its own logo in front of every jpg filename on my hard drive.

Dosen't seem to interrupt normal use or file handling The only way I can be rid of it is to uninstall Omnipage.

Reinstalling brings that tiny blue logo back again.

-

There is a freebie FreeOCR which "looks" OK

Any experience with that or any other OCR software? I would welcome your opinion.

wiz-king 16:47 13 May 14

If you have a newish scanner/printer it may have come with built in OCR. The only other small one I have used is SimpleOCR but I normally use the Brother one in my printer.

Diemmess 17:33 13 May 14

The Omnipage was a pukka sale from the days when the CD came with it. Watching what others do I have noticed that most seem to be able to use their own choice usually bundled as you say, and no bother.

It is possible that I deleted something I shouldn't have during an aggressive search of the registry where there were several bits of iffy stuff that I did clear.

I'll probably try the freebie when a currant issue of our twice yearly village magazine has been put to bed.

Woolwell 18:36 13 May 14

I have Omnipage 17 and have had earlier versions and it has never put a logo in front of a jpg file name. Do you have jpg's associated with Omnipage as the default program by any chance.

I quite like Abbyy FineReader.

alanrwood 18:50 13 May 14

I have found Abbyy Fine reader to be very good, especially the version 9 that comes with most Epson multi function printers.

morddwyd 19:37 13 May 14

I have used Textbridge )as well as Abby and Omnipage) for many tears and it ir my favourite.

Diemmess 14:24 24 May 14
Answer

Thank you everyone.

I tried (twice) removing, CCleaning, combing the registry for all traces of Omnipage and Scansoft, then reinstalling without benefit.

The unwanted association remained, relatively harmless except that backed-up .tib files gave Omnipage as their associated file, which could be awkward if I wanted to know the true association some time!

By coincidence I do have the Abbyy Fine Reader along with an Epson printer, it is version 9 (alanwood). Installed it and it works.

alanrwood 20:14 24 May 14

Glad you found Abbyy and hope it does what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017