Opinions please on my Firewall and antivirus

badgermansix 10:35 31 Jul 04

Do you consider Zonealarm (freeversion) together with Avast, Spybot and Adaware6.0 to be as good as/better than Nortons Internet Security 2004 OEM?
Thank you.

canard 10:43 31 Jul 04

Sygate is easier to live with than Zonealarm. It works well with AVG, Spybot and Spywareblaster and has kept me out of trouble with teenage grandchildren whooshing round the net.

canard 10:44 31 Jul 04

Norton's a bit of a brute.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:48 31 Jul 04

There is no need for a home user to pay for an AV or firewall (if they feel that they need one). AVG is excellent and any decent firewall will do.

G

Belatucadrus 12:00 31 Jul 04

I'm using avast, Kerio 4 firewall & Ad aware. It works fine for me and as a non profit home user I can't see the point in paying.
I doubt I'd use Norton anyway, it seems to be great if the installation routine runs smoothly, but a complete pig if it doesn't. It also gets the majority of the AV problem postings in this forum.

palinka 14:17 31 Jul 04

I agree with Belatucadrus. His expertise is way beyond mine, but I help a lot of friends & colleagues (with help from this forum) and I can confirm that Norton is a MEGA cause of problems.
People believe that "it updates automatically"; well, it does provided that option is switched on AND the user is on line regualrly and frequently. But a lot of those I help only go on line briefly, once a week or so, to download emails.
Result is they get viruses.

Enoch 16:47 31 Jul 04

Instead of Live Update of Norton, and because "Palinka" is not a frequent user, "Intellient Updater" should be used if you have not been online for a period. This updater is a complete update when downloaded.

alan227 17:22 31 Jul 04

I use AVG and ZA and have done for a long time, I certainly would not pay for something that can be got for free and is just as good as the paid for ones.

badgermansix 17:30 31 Jul 04

Well, I'm getting there:-))

GaT7 17:52 31 Jul 04

As some of the others have said, NIS2004 can cause a lot of problems and slow down your PC if you're unlucky, but it does get it right for the majority of users. You can give it a go & see how it does for a few days/weeks.

Otherwise you can go for some free protection: Free AV -click here. Free firewall - click here.

Don't forget SpywareBlaster click here that blocks ad/spyware, & complements Spybot & Adaware well. HTH, G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 31 Jul 04

Free combination that works for me (and has done for sometime):-

ZoneAlarm

click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
AVG antivirus click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…