Opinions Please

griffo 19:33 21 Jul 05

Last week 2 of our PC's failed. We were initially told by the 'firm' that are working on them, that both had defunct PSU's and one (let's call it PC2)also had a defunct heatsink/fan on the CPU.

All these parts were replaced and PC2 was returned and appears OK (so far).

When PC1 was fitted with the new PSU, it still didn't 'behave', so they tried an XP Pro repair. This didn't work either, so they concluded the HD needed to be formatted and XP re-installed. So they removed it into another PC and proceeded to copy all the data files off it, onto another HD, for later use.

Now they tell me the Motherboard has an intermittent fault and the RAM is "definitely gone" and both need replacing.

Question 1.

If the HD was so corrupted that it needed formatting and XP re-installing, would they be able to get it 'live' and copy stuff of it by putting it into another PC?

Question 2.

If the RAM was "definitely gone", wouldn't this be clearly evident much sooner than this?

Forgive my cynicism and I'm very willing to be 'put right' but it just doesn't 'feel right' to me.

Your opinions would be very welcome.

mattyc_92 19:38 21 Jul 05

1) They SHOULDN'T be able to recover files, unless a) the files that are currupt are files that they didn't copy or b) they used "third party" software to recover the currupt data

2)They in theory, should of saw the ram problem striaght away. Why did they change the PSUs? Didn't the system get any power?

griffo 19:55 21 Jul 05

Thanks for your response.
As I understand it (unfortunately, I was not in on the morning this all happened), both PC's were running but not 'available' on the LAN. Then PC2 went 'pop' and was switched off.

As far as I know PC1 was 'live' but not behaving properly, so that suggests the PSU was, at that stage, working doesn't it?

mattyc_92 19:57 21 Jul 05

Yes. If there was power going to the system (and the VDU was displaying what is happening) then logic would suggest that it isn't the PSU.

It could of been a software fault or a different type of hardware fault.

griffo 20:18 21 Jul 05

So, does their 'story' and the sequence of events stack up, or should they have identified the RAM failure upfront and avoided many hours labour charges, running Windows repairs, copying files and then reformatting and re-installing windows??

mattyc_92 20:25 21 Jul 05

Not really sure, as I don't know all the facts about what happened and why they tried what they did, but if the system was running, but with error messages, then they shouldn't of even thought about the PSU as the problem.

griffo 20:35 21 Jul 05

OK, thanks for that. Looks like a case is building.

Cheers matty

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 21 Jul 05

It is not common for a PSU to fail and for two to fail next to each other is truly astounding. Many computers that have recently been failing have been due to the warm weather ;-).

Most computer parts are fairly reliable and for on to have so many faults at once does stretch one's incredulity. The first thing I always check on a wobbly computer is the RAM.

G

griffo 20:59 21 Jul 05

thanks G. It certainly appears that little care/thought has gone into this process. I have assumed it was heat related and have instructed that case fans are added. However, I can't help but feel this has been dealt with poorly. Firstly, they told me it was a software problem with PC1 then it developed as described. Just doesn't stack up.

Meshuga 22:08 21 Jul 05

It looks to me that they are trying trial and error diagnosing ie- oh well, it aint that so lets change this.

woodchip 22:12 21 Jul 05

Sometimes PC problems have to be done on a trial and error basis. This is where it can cost. Intermittent problems are the worst to find. Be it PC, TV or what ever

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…