operating systems

Big cog 20:39 03 Jan 06

Can I run two operating systems each on its own drive on the same machine by switching the master lead without complications?

mattyc_92 20:41 03 Jan 06

You can "Duel Boot", but you need a program that allows you to switch between operating systems... such as BootMagic (part of PartitionMagic)

Takin the IDE cable out all the time can be risky for many different reasons.

Big cog 21:14 03 Jan 06

The question I am asking is can I run two computers on the same machine by switching the master cable from one drive to another so I can boot from either disc?

SG Atlantis® 21:17 03 Jan 06

you don't need to, if you dual boot, when you press power button. The machine will ask which operating system you want to load.

what operating systems ??

007al 21:20 03 Jan 06

If you are going to do it that way,then go into bios and change hard drive boot sequence to the drive you want to boot from.

Big cog 21:34 03 Jan 06

Two hard drives, one computer, disc one with Windows XP, remove cable from disc one, plug into disc two, load Windows XP, run XP from either disc. I don't want a dual boot system, I want a back-up computer.

007al 21:37 03 Jan 06

Do you have a SATA motherboard?

SG Atlantis® 21:39 03 Jan 06

I have never seen this request before, I guess you could.

Install it on the first hard disk, then remove it and then install it on the next hard disk. You can then keep switching back and forth.

However that would technically mean 2 installations of the same OS, the eula might prohibit this but I suppose you could argue that it's one computer. It should activate ok as it is the same computer... I don't know.

007al 21:43 03 Jan 06

If you have SATA,you can just change boot order in BIOS to the drive you want to use

007al 21:45 03 Jan 06

I have XP Pro on one disc,Linux on another and one for storage.I just change to what disc i want to use

Big cog 21:47 03 Jan 06

Yes 007al i do have a onBord SATA RAID

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…