Operating System Writing

Bob The Nob© 12:25 24 Jun 04

Hello
I would like to write an operating system BUT I don't know the code, I would like to learn it in my spare time. I would like it if any one would offer to help by email or direct me to a site that will teach me, all the sites I have found don't help. HELP! Could it be done in QBASIC or does it need to be done in another program and if its another program can I download it and where???

Thanks
Bob The Nob

scooby43 12:29 24 Jun 04

first of all you need a source code, personally something like this wouldnt be able to do on your own and is very complicated to do.

stlucia 12:41 24 Jun 04

Actually writing an operating system is rather ambitious! Maybe this site click here will help to set you off in the right direction.

LastChip 12:49 24 Jun 04

The source code is freely available and may give an insight into what a major undertaking this would be.

Interestingly, there are some VERY small operating systems written as Linux variants, and this may be a good place to start. (small enough to reside on a chip!) These OS are text based, because as soon as you move into a graphical interface, the OS size increases dramatically.

You will find massive amounts of support and help from the Linux community, should you wish to pursue this goal.

The source code incidentally, is the bit you write, which is then converted via a compiler, into 0's and 1's the machine understands.

Bob The Nob© 18:17 24 Jun 04

Thnaks you lot, you have been alot of help, do you think you could point me in the right direction with links etc.

Bob T Nob

LastChip 00:45 25 Jun 04

click here for starters.

But a simple Google search for code examples, will pull up hundreds of sites. It's more a question of you taking a look, to see what suits you best.

Gaz 25 00:57 25 Jun 04

Oh my god...
I gave this ago sometime.

Infact managed to get a little OS small enough to fit the installation on a floppy.

But it crashed, didnt do much, and was a waste of time - probably so flawed no one would ever use it.

But if you feel you can take on this, then give it a go... but it is a major task and requires lots of time on your hands and maybe a few friends to help you out.

Gaz 25 01:00 25 Jun 04

Heck.. think about the drivers, the compatibility. Its some hell of a lot of work that... then theres your GUI interface and icon libaries. Whoo, massive project.

My OS that I created had no graphics. :-( No time you see, to crack open an image editor.

Why not try creating Visual Basic, Pascal, Delphi programs first?

Chegs ® 03:22 25 Jun 04

Or,try reducing the "bloat" from a windows install,much easier to alter whats already been created than write your own OS.

VoG II 09:24 25 Jun 04

click here

Couldn't you try something less ambitious (but achievable) like writing a word processor or spreadsheet?

Bob The Nob© 10:31 25 Jun 04

Thanks for your help, I can see that I need a lot of time to do this which I have not got, Thanks!

Bob T Nob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…