operating system not found on laptop

ronaldm 20:28 30 Sep 07

have a sony laptop, gives the message 'operating system not found' everytime i turn it on. the hard drive works ok, have tried it on another laptop. have tried to go into e bios setup and everytime i change e primary ide to auto, it gives back none before i save. have tried this several times and still does that. please help

Marko797 20:34 30 Sep 07

any chance that u have something plugged into ur usb port such as a pen drive?

skidzy 20:36 30 Sep 07

What about safemode ?

Are you saying the drive boots in another laptop ?

Or possibly a disc in the cd/dvd drive and check the bios is not set to boot from the cd/dvd drive first.

Bios boot order should read something like;

HDD
CD/DVD
Floppy ( if one exists)
USB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 30 Sep 07

Check your HDD is listed in boot devices.

Make sure order of boot devices is :

1 CD drive
2 HDD
3 other devices

woodchip 20:53 30 Sep 07

If this is a New Laptop, then Sata Hard Drives are not been recognised. It needs the Sata Drivers reloading

ronaldm 21:12 30 Sep 07

nothing is plugged onto e laptop. the boot drives is correct. not a new laptop, so not a sata drive. e drive actually works on another. e problem comes when i change e laptop to auto on e primary ide, its changes that to none before it saves e settings and when it switchs on comes up with e message operating system not found

woodchip 21:16 30 Sep 07

Does the Hard Drive give you all the settings writen on top of it? if so try putting these into the Settings in BIOS instead of using Auto

woodchip 21:17 30 Sep 07

PS if that does not work Try loading BIOS default settings. You will then have to change them after to suit your needs

ronaldm 21:25 30 Sep 07

have tried loading defaults settings but still same message comes up and e hard drive is given as none. e hard have checked and has lba 78,242,976. 40gb. 5400 rpm, written on it. tell me how do u check if e actual cable connecting e drive to e motherboard is working.

woodchip 21:42 30 Sep 07

If the Laptop is less than 12 months, take it back

ronaldm 21:53 30 Sep 07

unfortunately its not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017