Operating system for new build

Dumble452 09:16 20 Mar 04

The parts to build my computer are due to arrive today and I have been thinking ahead as to what operating system or systems I will install when (or if) I get it assembled and working.
I would prefer to go down the route of a using a complete new edition of Windows XP rather than upgrading from Windows 98se but unfortunately Novatech no longer seem to supply the OEM version other than with their pre-assembled computers. I read elsewhere that OEM is only for use with a new computer, so is it legal to buy it separately?I am also interested in the possibility of having more than one OS on my new machine. My brother-in-law swears by HyperOs, but it is extremely expensive £200+. Is there any other software available that is easy to use and reasonably priced?

Paranoid Android 10:00 20 Mar 04

You can get OEM versions from many outlets, including click here

Some places will sell you eg a ?1 mouse to get around this 'problem', others don't bother.

Beware when searching the net of 'media only' versions - these look very cheap but don't include a licence.

Marvin

spuds 11:18 20 Mar 04

XP operating systems with SP1 click here and use search Quickcode 50264 [Home] or Quickcode 52362 [Pro].No need to buy extras!.

Good self-build info site click here

Dumble452 08:13 21 Mar 04

Thanks. You've saved me a packet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…