Operating system installation problems

geordiepaul2001 10:14 06 Aug 10

Hi all,

I have formatted my hard drive (Sony VGN-NR10E laptop) after windows started to hang on boot up.
The problem I know have is that I cannot install windows vista, it says that Windows cannot copy the installation files.
The laptop does take the install of Ubuntu (linux) and works with no problems.

Any ideas?

Paul

sunnystaines 11:07 06 Aug 10

is it oem for another pc?

geordiepaul2001 20:25 06 Aug 10

I'm not sure, I couldn't find my installation cd and had to use a torrent site to get a suitable cd. Does it make a sifference if its a OEM cd for a different make of laptop?

woodchip 20:29 06 Aug 10

Looks to me like you will have to shell out for a new OS CD

woodchip 20:34 06 Aug 10

Why did you opt to format the drive? instead of running The Restore Setup or CD you got with the PC?

PalaeoBill 21:19 06 Aug 10

This is probably because the install can't verify the install files. It often happens with copies of the CD rather than the original. If you have the ISO image, try burning it again at a lower speed (x2 perhaps) or copy the CD contents to a USB hard drive and install from the hard drive.

geordiepaul2001 16:38 09 Aug 10

I formatted the drive as the repair option did not work and I have misplaced my original cd.
Looking at the sticker on the base it says Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct

geordiepaul2001 10:57 13 Aug 10

Just a quick update.

I got hold of a full Windows disc (non OEM) and tried to install.
The interesting thing is that it appears to install and then when it restarts it claims that it cannot find the hard drive.
I suspect I may need to replace the drive, would you agree?
If so, how could I ensure I am buying a compatible hard drive?

Paul

geordiepaul2001 11:15 15 Aug 10

Anyone got any ideas?

mocha 13:00 15 Aug 10

geordiepaul2001,

If ubuntu works with no problems then your hard drive is ok. Your Master boot record may be corrupt, this is not altered during a Format. Start fdisk from CD and use the command fdisk /mbr then partition drive and format to install Vista from CD. For more info on MBR click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:20 15 Aug 10

"laptop does take the install of Ubuntu (linux) and works with no problems."

"it claims that it cannot find the hard drive."

Windows an linux use different filing systems and windows cannot see a drive formatted /used by linux

You may need to completly wipe the drive with something like Dban click here then Boot from the windows CD and format the drive prior to installing Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…