Operating System discs supplied with new laptop?

Bayleaf 17:12 27 Jun 09

Can anyone can please answer the following I would be very grateful.

1.Does anyone know of any laptops that are supplied with the operating system discs and not just with the system preinstalled.

2.What happens if you need to format the hard drive on a preinstalled machine? Can you only format the partition that does not contain the operating system?

3.Are recovery disks always supplied with new machines?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 27 Jun 09

1 very few maybe only Medion nowadays

2. yes just format the c: drive the partition with the backup of the drive is usually hidden.
if you do a factory restore it efectively formats the drive.

3. Not often you usualy have an 1 chance option to burn your own when you first start up.
Best bet is to use Acronis True Image to copy the drive then you have a backup if the drive fails or you want to renew the drive for a bigger one.

T I M B O 17:19 27 Jun 09

I dont know of any make that does give a copy of the os with a new pc.

You have to burn your own copy from that hidden partition onto 2 dvd's or 7 cd's, 2 dvd's are prolly best and not dual layer.

If you wipe that hard drive and use the dvd's that you made from that original hard drive, then it shall reinstate that hidden partition for you then install windows. If you wish to do a clean install of windows you can do so from that hidden partition using the F10 keys maybe, depending on the make of ur computer.

But my best advise is, back up that hidden partition to dvd's asap !!!

Clapton is God 17:27 27 Jun 09

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista about 12 months.

It came with both a 'restore to factory settings' partition and a Vista Cd.

Dell may still do this. Give them a call.

Bayleaf 17:36 27 Jun 09

Many thanks to all for your advice.

I think i will try Dell as i feel you have more control if you have the system disc.

Thanks
Bayleaf

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 27 Jun 09

i feel you have more control if you have the system disc.

18 months ago my 2 nieces had identical Toshiba laptops, both failed to verify the burnt backup DVDs

1 machine failed and would not factory restore from the hidden partition.
fortunately having two identical backup DVDs neither of which worked, I was able to determine the corrupt image files on each DVD (luckily different on each DVD)and make a good restore DVD from the two.

Curio 19:13 27 Jun 09

Have a Dell XPS laptop. Bought about same time as Clapton is God. Also had Vista SP1 System disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017