Operating System Comparisons

Epirb406 16:53 09 Mar 03

Hi, this should be a quickie!

Can anyone point me to honest comparitive reviews of Win ME, 2000, and 98se?

Or give an opinion.

Or tell me known issues with ME?

Thanks in advance, Epirb.

Gongoozler 18:36 09 Mar 03

Hi Epirb. For what it's worth, this is my personal opinion.

Of all the Windows 9x series Windows 98se is the best and most stable. Windows ME added some bells and whistles, but on the whole these have been more trouble than worth. Windows 2000 was developed from NT and is really aimed more at the networking user. The only real advantage of 2000 is that along with NT and XP it makes no attempt at compatibility with old DOS based software, and is therefore more stable.

XP was developed from 2000 but is a huge piece of resource hungry software with a lot of gimmicks, some useful and some less so. I use 98se, and have very few stability problems.

Epirb406 19:11 09 Mar 03

Thanks for that Gongoozler (Hell of a name!)

I wanted to stay with 98 se but had a system meltdown and with a 2nd hand PC didn't have original disks. I went to the shops to find 98 not on the shelves but ME there. As I needed to get back up and running I bought it. However, everyone seems to sy its unstable.

However, again, every one seems to want to have a pop at MS new software so I'm looking for views.

Cheers for your input, Epirb.

leo49 19:17 09 Mar 03

Absolutely nothing wrong with ME and it's steady as a rock.Look after it and preferably apply 98Lite to get rid of all the Media garbage and you can't fault it.

REgards

Gongoozler 19:24 09 Mar 03

Hi Epirb. There are many people on this forum who use and like ME, just as there are many who have no end of stability issues with Windows 98se. Reading through the postings there are also many who love XP as well as those who find it grinds to a snails pace at the least excuse.

Microsoft are ceasing support for Windows 98 this year, so none of the usual shops are stocking it. It is still available though from software clearance outlets, and at £69 I think it's a bargain. click here.

Gongoozler - Someone who hangs around the canal locks watching the boats going through - and generally getting in the way. A bit like me on this forum ;-)

leo49 19:36 09 Mar 03

Like Gongoozler says everyone has their own favourite - It's a question of what works for you.I've got 98 and 2k on my PC as well but find the 98 GUI crude and clunky and the 2k not very user friendly.Different strokes.

Regards

Stokey 20:56 09 Mar 03

I have Win Me running on five systems with no problems at all. Been using it since it was launched. A lot of the problems that some people have had with Me is when the OS came with their machine, I've helped friends with this and I'm as certain as I can be that they are not the same as a new out-of-the-box retail version. Also people that have upgraded on top of an already unstable rig have blamed Me undeservedly. Me is a good OS.

Epirb406 22:30 09 Mar 03

thanx all for your comments.

interesting to see all points of view!

would like to hear more, especially more tips for keeping ME stable.

Cheers, till tomorrow night, Epirb.

woodchip 22:41 09 Mar 03

ME is the worsed OS they made for me, also on 98se

A15 22:58 09 Mar 03

I have used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98se, ME, NT4, 2000 & now XP. Out of them all XP has to rate the best for me, but then again I am using it on a high end system. I found ME extremely unstable as an upgrade or a clean install & was always suffering system crashes. Used to run it on a 600mhz AMD Athlon with 384Mb memory so it should have run OK, but not for me (pardon the pun). When 2000 was released I could not wait to upgrade & never looked back, kept the same system stable for over a year. Recently retired my old beast & the new one came with XP (home). I must admit after some the articles I have read, I was dubious. However I cannot fault XP. It has taken everthing I have thrown at it & more. In my opinion XP is excellent & the best OS around at the moment.

Epirb406 20:53 10 Mar 03

Thanks one and all for views, seems that there is no straight answer to this one!

My system seems stable and with a fairly geriatric (Pentiun II 350 MHZ 120 mb ram) system so maybe I'm Lucky.

Happy to have more views but for the sake of tidiness will now mark thread as closed.

Thanks again, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5