//some 3rd party need geo

Operating system CD's

lester1 00:06 18 Aug 04

Thinking of buying a new PC and quite fancy the PC Adviser recommended Mesh Matrix 64 3400+.

What is the current situation reguarding OS CD's?

My current PC came with a recovery CD which has caused me some grief which I would rather avoid

THE TERMINATOR 00:42 18 Aug 04

I don't want to sound funny, but would'nt you be better off asking Mesh this question?

lester1 21:41 18 Aug 04

The Terminator

I was woundering about the current situation when buying from any supplier.

Mesh may well tell me that a recovery disc is the only option available If I am not aware that this is not the case I will have no arguments against.

The Mesh option is the current favourite but if a similar system is available from another manufacturer and comes with a system disc this would be prefered

johnsims 22:59 18 Aug 04

To the best of my knowledge all the larger OEMs only provide some sort of recovery CD. You can always ask them to upgrade to the full retail version of Windows XP (Pro or Home), but they will charge you a bit extra. Not as much as going into a store and buying off the shelf though.

Dave_Dave 23:07 18 Aug 04

Not sure if manufactures are still giving out OS discs. Make sure you do get a recovery CD and not a floppy disc though. Some manufactures are now giving you a floppy with the OS stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive. A friend of mine has this system and now can't recover anything as the hard drive is either corrupt or been the victim of a virus.

Belatucadrus 23:10 18 Aug 04

click here check out their terms and conditions, states that they supply a full version oem operating system. I read that to mean a full Windows CD, I'm sure their help desk would confirm one way or the other.

THE TERMINATOR 23:30 18 Aug 04

I hope your not too upset by what I said earlier, but nowadays the OS is copied onto the hard drive of the pc you wish to buy, and installed from there(Microsofts policy of not giving CD's that can be copied). You may get a recovery cd, because this can be used on your pc only(and therfore no point in copying it, and infringement of copyright)....TT

BIG ben strikes 10 23:33 18 Aug 04

hhmm.all manafacturers don't give out the OS cd.they just copy the cab. files accross to the harddisk.and then supply a backup cd.i wonder if there is a liscende to copy those cabs?

BIG ben strikes 10 23:36 18 Aug 04

sorry terminator you basicly said what i said.

SEASHANTY 00:15 19 Aug 04

The Medion PC's purchased from Aldi have always had the Windows XP OEM CD included together with a separate recovery disc. You have to wait for their offers though and they are not currently available.

lester1 00:16 19 Aug 04

TT no ofence taken.

I have had a few problems with my current (98SE)recovery disk so I am reluctant to go down the same path again. Don't get me wrong the operating system has been very stable but I get a bit irate when a problem is encountered my only option is to do a recovery yeh maybe a win98 problem but not being able to recover cab files etc do'es my head in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…