operating system on Cd....

alex 19:13 08 Mar 03

I have heard that it is possible to boot from a cd which has the full operating system ( Win 98 )on it, ie no HDD, is this correct if yes , anyone knows how to make creat the cd. Thanks

Lú-tzé 22:32 08 Mar 03

Yes, you can boot from the CD but only so far as to be able to install Win98 onto the hdd. I don't think that you can run a Windows OS from such a CD.

But you can run some Linux Distros from CD.

alex 00:19 09 Mar 03

I mean os from cd, I have heard it can be done, but don't know how !

flecc 00:49 09 Mar 03

I've also heard of this but never seen anything conclusive on it. The big problem is that CD files are read only, and that's impossible for the Windows registry which is a constantly updating facility. Also log files and the Applog folder need to constantly update, and a CD cannot do that of course.

Therfore I think the tales are apocryphal.

In theory a CD-RW running in a CD Writing drive on a computer running EasyCD's Direct CD program might just manage it, but it would be very slow running. However, since the Direct CD wouldn't operate until booting into Windows was completed, there could still be problems with the booting functions that need to write at times.

Paul2003 01:04 09 Mar 03

Linux Knoppix is a CD based OS that you boot from a CD, it doesnt even need a HD installed to run.

I think that you have no hope of booting Windows from a CD without installing to HD.

You can DL Knoppix from click here

temp003 04:55 09 Mar 03

I've seem this link before from Bart's Bootable CDs site. This link suggests an interesting way of getting round the problem of the need to overwrite files in running an OS from CD. The idea seems to be putting the registry files on to RAM disk. Other error messages can be ignored.

click here

I'm nowhere near the level of being able to check the viability of this solution. One for the enthusiast only (maybe someone above can do it :o) ?) . Sounds like a lot of work to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…