Operating system better on larger hard drive?

nilescrane 20:27 16 Apr 06

I'm planning to buy a new internal hard drive. Should the operating system be on the larger hard drive?

Also, I understand it's better if the drive holding the OS doesn't also contain storage. But would it be ok to store audio, video etc on the same disc, but in a separate partition?

Many thanks

Totally-braindead 20:40 16 Apr 06

Windows does tend to like to be on the C drive so in general its better kept there, it makes no difference as far as I can see whether you use your new drive or your old one for Windows though its worth checking on which is the fastest and normally newer drives tend to be faster. I've never heard the bit about not having storage on the same drive as Windows, that may be true but I've never heard that, hopefully someone else will elaborate.

SG Atlantis® 20:42 16 Apr 06

The OS should be installed to C.

It's advisable to store all data and files on a separate drive from the OS.

If it's one hdd with several partitions, what happens if the hdd fails??? you lose it all anyway.

OS and apps on C drive

Data and pagefile on D drive

SG Atlantis® 20:43 16 Apr 06

Or keep it all on one hdd and back it all up to a second hdd, with an app like Acronis?

woodchip 20:43 16 Apr 06

It's more beneficial to leave it on smaller drive so it's easier to Image the drive and put main software on big drive but they still load some file onto C:\ and into registry. All drivers go onto the C:\ driver you have no option on the matter.

nilescrane 21:03 16 Apr 06

Thanks for the advice. On the subject of the pagefile, I think I heard that it's a good idea to have this in a separate partition containing nothing else. Any thoughts?

SG Atlantis® 21:22 16 Apr 06

not a partition.

The whole point is to put it on a completely different drive from the OS and apps. So the apps can be read/written to from one drive whilst the pagefile is read/written to from another. If they are both on the same drive then they have to take turns at being read.

If it is 2 partitions on one drive, it doesn't matter as it's physically only one drive.

Assumming that your 2 hdds are called C and D.

OS and apps on C drive

Data and pagefile on D drive

That's how mine are set up.

nilescrane 00:25 17 Apr 06

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…