operating system onto 2nd hard drive

digitaldilema 11:18 04 Jan 03
  digitaldilema 11:18 04 Jan 03

I have a Packard Bell pentium 3 with win xp installed. It has a 170mb 2nd hard drive added at the moment (fully operational as drive D).
I have a second pc which i bought for my daughter to learn on, it had win 95 installed. I have an old cd win 95 and so i thought i would format and reinstall. Stupidly i failed to notice that it did not have a cd drive, (stop laughing).
It has a 3gig hard drive now formatted totally.
I have taken it out and tried to install it into my Packard bell in order to load win 95 from mine onto it and then put it back into the old pc and hope it would work.Unfortunately it doesn't seem to recognise it. I have checked jumper settings on the site and have taken all jumpers off to make it the slave.The slave drive is a Quantum Fireball EX 3.5 series. Any suggestions please.

pj123 11:29 04 Jan 03

It is easier and cheaper to buy a CD Rom drive and install into your daughters computer.
Have a look here click here

pete

Peter 11:29 04 Jan 03

How about installing a CD ROM drive on the old PC and loading Windows 95 from that.

Peter.

woodchip 11:36 04 Jan 03

There shude be a jumper on for slave it indicates on the drive what jumper to use S/L then go to cmose at start of computer and ether set to auto for the drive but my favorite is to auto detect the drive save settings and reboot. you then need to copy whatever OS you whant to use onto the drive, do not try to run setup copy the windows folder from the cd to the new drive, you then install it back in the old comp and run settup from there the buety of this is you do not need CD drivers loaded just start with floppy disc at Dos A:\> you need to type the folder and setup

Something like this

A:\>CD C: then press enter

it should now be C:\> you can type dir and press enter to get the folder name. Then when you start setup it will look something like this depending on what folder windows is called if you have changed it.

C:\Folder\setup

were folder is the windows folder that you copied in your other computer

woodchip 11:39 04 Jan 03

What a mess of spelling Hope you can understand it

digitaldilema 11:51 04 Jan 03

pj123 and peter i have a spare cd drive can this go onto the middle connection of the cable going to the hard drive and if so does the cd drive jumper have to be slave?.
Woodchip if i can't do the above i will try your suggestion. Thanks for your suggestions excellent response as usual, what an helproom.

woodchip 11:57 04 Jan 03

Yes you can put it on that Connector, Do not forget to go to cmos setup and Auto detect drive or set it to auto

woodchip 11:58 04 Jan 03

PS then use a win98 setup disc as there may be one of the cd drivers on it to run from CD. If you have not got one just say

digitaldilema 12:07 04 Jan 03

woodchip, no i have not got a win 98 set up disc.

woodchip 12:16 04 Jan 03

Coose the one at the top of the list Windows9
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…