Operating System

Abel 09:10 12 Jun 06

Good morning,

I'm having a good deal of trouble with events that seem to be directly associated with my operating system, which is Windows ME.Is it possible to delete the OS without affecting the various programmes and files and then reinstall it? The prospect of reformatting and doing a clean install is just too much to contemplate.

alan227 09:21 12 Jun 06

Is this of any help.

click here

rmcqua 09:22 12 Jun 06

I sympathise. I found Win ME to be a horrid piece of software. I used to have it installed on 3 PCs at home and at work and none of them were ever stable or problem-free.
I think you can install Win XP as an upgrade to ME without losing your data. However, I would be very reluctant to do this without backing up anything important first.
What you can't do is just delete the OS and leave the data and programmes intact.

CurlyWhirly 10:44 12 Jun 06

I'm sorry I can't help but I would also like to say that I had constant freezing when I first bought a PC in 2001 as Windows ME was installed on it.

I was fed up of having to reset the PC and going through the checkdisk routine as this happened a few times a day!

I decided to upgrade to Windows XP and have never looked back as it is so much more stable than Windows ME ever was.

Abel 15:28 13 Jun 06

I tried option 2 of the Computing.Net remedies and lost the Windows screen (with all the ICONS)altogether. I feel quite sure that the instability of my OS caused the problem, rather than anything being wrong with the suggested method. So, I've now started on a clean install!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…