operating system

derek-220674 19:28 24 Sep 04

When switching on my pc windows 98 it comes up cannot find operating system i have tried a start up disc and ticked start with cd rom but the cd is not operaing although it has power, in the bios setting it is only showing A and C drive is there some way to put the cd rom on there. also it is telling me to form a dos partition when i try to put in fdisk it state no fixed disc present
All help will be appreciated

Noelg23 19:30 24 Sep 04

check cables in the PC and BIOS again

Valvegrid 20:42 24 Sep 04

In the BIOS make sure the A drive boots first. Switch off the computer, then put the Windows Startup disk in and switch the computer on. When the menu appears, select number one in the menu, this will load the generic driver for the CD ROM.

If it gets to the end and says it can't find the CD ROM there is something wrong with it. If it gets to the end it should say that its loaded the tools into drive D: if the are no other partitions, the CD ROM drive should appear as drive F:

From the A: prompt, type C: then return, then type dir/p then return, this should show you if the is anything on the C: drive.

See if you can get that far first, let us know the results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…