Opera problems

Stuart Leyland 20:35 23 Dec 03

Hi all.

I am currently in the process of coming up with a design for a message board that I intend to code myself although I have hit a problem :o(

The code which I will post below in a minute, does not display correctly in Opera for some stupid reason. I've checked and double checked that my percentages for column widths adds up correctly and have so far found no errors which makes things even more weird!

My apologies for having to post the code, I currently do not have any webhosting although that should be sorted soon. Here is the entire code:

table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" id="AutoNumber4">
tr>
td width="46%" colspan="3" align="center">
p align="center">Thread /td>
td width="15%" align="center">Thread Starter /td>
td width="7%" align="center">Replies /td>
td width="7%" align="center">Views /td>
td width="25%" align="center">Last Post /td>
/tr>
tr>
td width="5%" align="center"> font size="2">Thread status /font> /td>
td width="5%" align="center"> font size="2">Thread icon /font> /td>
td width="36%" align="left">Thread title /td>
td width="7%" align="center">No replies /td>
td width="7%" align="center">No views /td>
td width="25%" align="left">Date: date br>
By: display name /td>
/tr>
tr>
/tr>
tr>
/tr>
tr>
td width="100%" align="center" colspan="7">
p align="right">Drop down menu of boards /td>
/tr>
/table>

In Opera, the column width's do not appear to be correct at all. I would provide a screenshot if I had somewhere to upload it to but alas, I don't.

I would be very greatful if someone can help me with this as it's been driving me mad!

Thanks very much

PurplePenny 00:31 24 Dec 03

I just tried your code on Opera - I wrote a very long title into the top "Thread title" field and a very long name into the lower "Date:/By:" field and the width of the columns adjusted to the length of the text.

No idea why - I'll leave that to one of the experts - just thought that it might help them to pin down what is wrong.

Penny

Stuart Leyland 10:12 24 Dec 03

Cheers PurplePenny :)

tenplus1 13:59 24 Dec 03

It looks as if a lot of the '<' characters are missing when opening td's, tr's and paragraphs... Try making your code fully compliant and then check it with Opera...

Taran 14:06 24 Dec 03

It is posted with missing tag brackets to allow the code to display properly on this forum. Posting a long block of code runs the risk of it deforming and turning into click here links and whatnot, while missing off some of the opening tags will allow it to display as text.

Stuart Leyland 17:12 24 Dec 03

Hi guys.

I've just been fiddling in FrontPage again and it would appear that when the last row is merged into one cell rather than 7 seperate ones, then Opera throws a wobbler! I've tried leaving a row which has all the correct column spacing and a merged line and all works fine.

Would appreciate any help you can offer :o)

Merry Christmas!

Taran 17:15 24 Dec 03

Long time no see Stuart.

I've copied your code but shan't get the chance to look at it until tomorrow or the day after.

There's this little thing called Christmas getting in the way of my normal day-to-day things...

All the best

Taran

Stuart Leyland 17:27 24 Dec 03

Taran,

Long time no see indeed mate. How has life been treating you?

Thanks a lot for saying you'll have a look at it. I'm in no rush. I just decided that I would have a pop at it to cure the boredem caused by the dragging days leading up til Christmas!

I've had a pop at creating a forum before and I kinda made changes, adding things to my MySQL database, etc as I needed to. This time I have a better idea what I need to do and intend to come up with a design for all the pages first. Shame I've got a problem with 2 other pages as well :o(

Thanks a lot for offering to help Taran.

Have a good Christmas!

PurplePenny 18:51 24 Dec 03

until tomorrow?!? but that's Christmas Day ... you can't go using the forum as an excuse to get out of helping Mrs Taran with the sprouts ...

Penny

PurplePenny 21:08 24 Dec 03

I've just been reading about Opera 7.5 beta and one of the bug fixes listed is:

* Fixed a long-standing issue where table cell width was affected by white space

wonder if that is anything to do with your problem.

Penny

Taran 22:36 24 Dec 03

The very idea of the present Mrs. Taran helping with the sprouts - she never gets near the kitchen, I love to cook.

lol

Stuart:

Opera has a great many issues with correctly rendering pages, which is one of several reasons why I ditched it almost a year ago. The things it does that I like (which are many) aren't worth the hassles to me for those simpler things it really should be able to do but can't. I no longer even test sites in Opera very often - certainly not as often as I do using IE, NetScape and Mac browsers.

I'll look at and play with the code properly over the next day or two and pull it apart. If it's browser specific there are normally minor code hacks that address the situation, but it might help to know if you want current version compatibilty of backward compatiblity and if so, how many versions back do you want to go ?

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…