Opera "not responding"

ardeebee 09:00 17 Feb 09

I am running the latest version of Opera (9.63) under Windows Vista. Opera constantly "freezes" with a "Not responding" message. I then cannot close Opera by any method - including using Task Manager. The only option is to close the PC but even that is sluggish and hangs for about 2 minutes before closing.
I have run various anti-virus and spyware programs but these detect no problems. I have uninstalled and re-installed Opera several times using Revo uninstaller as well as the usual "Add & remove" type process. Any suggestions please?

Pesala 17:03 18 Feb 09

You might do better asking in the Opera forums, where there are many more Opera users: click here

See this knowledge base article: click here

Is the feeze happening on a specific website? If so, provide a link for others to test.

Duplicate plugins can often cause problems. Type opera:plugins in the URL field to see what is installed.

I find that many intractable problems are resolved by deleting opera6.ini in the \profile\ folder after closing Opera. If you know what settings you have changed, it doesn't take long to select them all again. Or just move opera6.ini to C:\TEMP\ so that you can undo the change if it doesn't help.

ardeebee 15:11 20 Feb 09

The freeze happens at random and is not associated with any specific site(s).
I have now searched for - and deleted - duplicate plug-ins and have renamed the opera6.ini file but the problem still persists. I have been in touch with my ISP and they have made some software amendments to the modem which seems to have reduced the frequency of the freezes but certainly have not cured them.
I have tried using Internet Explorer instead but this seems to have even more frequent freezes which suggests the problem is not just Opera. I've visited the Opera site forums but find the issues there to be rather too technical for me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017